My New Bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GuineasRule, Mar 28, 2005.

1. GuineasRule

GuineasRule Well-Known Member

I just got 2 doelings for my kids to play with but they will be making babies for our table. They are Cal/Chinchilla crosses. Now to my question. I was planning on using our French Lop buck to stud the first couple of litters as he is already here and ...willing (read attacked the cat). Will the meat be just as good as if I'd used a NZ white stud? I understand thier will be less of it as he is 1/2 of what they will be grown. But for first litters I think smaller babies are good. Anyway thanks for you input.

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

========

You have the right idea ,, once the skin is off its all good eating ,, and ,, at butchering time of around 10 weeks ,, you'll probably not notice much difference in weight ,,

If ,, after a few litters and after butchering a few times ,, you decide you'd like to see if you can get a bigger carcass ,, get more cages and expand ,,

I will say ,, everyone has warned me about summer heat causeing sterility in SR bucks and I've been told its good to have an up n coming Jr buck ready for fall breeding ,, if you have the spare cage space maybe you could look around for an 8 - 10 week old NZ buck to raise up ??

(If you don't have spare cages ,, start building now!) :haha:

Remember when you wean the babies from mama (at least by 8 - 9 weeks) you should wean the fryers into sexed fryer cages ,, cause you don't want unplanned brother/sister breedings ,,

Its an unwritten Breeders rule ,, when you want babies noone wants to cooperate :waa: ,, if you Don't want babies you'll have an early maturing 9 week old buck impregnating mama and sister ,,, :no:

T
    NC

3. GuineasRule

So funny thing... We both are from Lincoln.. Just different states!

Thanks for you advice. And no the last thing I want to is explain to a 4yo how Inbreeding works. Bad enough trying to explain how breeding happens anyway.

I had planned on getting another buck for second litters, I just thought small for first timers. I am looking to get a baby buck and another large doe. I really fell for the NZ but we will have to see whats available. Took a month to find these girls and the women who has them has NZ and Cal but will not sell any of those as she is building her breeding program.

Now All I have to do is learn to tan the hide and find something to do with it after. Thanks

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Have you ever visited the Yahoo site : Meatrabbits ?? they've had several threads recently about tanning and what you need ,, and what to do with the tanned hides ,, someone was talking about twisted rabbit hide blankets ,, there is one member who uses all the hides he can find/buy I read the other day ,, He is a native american and makes souvineer items ,,

You might find a breeder close to you ,, everyone reccomends checking out for rabbit shows in your area ,, county fairs ,, 4-H shows ,, :)

useually there is stock for sale at shows or you can find breeders of animals that you like and go visit after the shows ,,

NZs are nice but if you want colors in your hutches there are breeds like Rexes (those have nice fur too) Satins which I've been told have furs that 'glow' (the fur is translucent?) there are quite a variety of meat breeds that have colors ,,

I loved my first show ,, lol every time I see one ,, I want a giant ,, but I talk myself out of it :p

My best doe is an English Spot I bought at the Flea market ,, :haha: Do you have 'trade' papers ,, sometimes breeders will advertive in the free adds ,, ones called Iwanna here ??

If you only breed for litters say every 2-3 months you can leave the doe kits in the cage with mom till you butcher but 'I' believe in taking buck kits away at 7-8 weeks ,, I 'know' I can butcher any unplanned breedings but its the principle of it :haha: and I always tripple check for the sexes after seperating ,, cause the sex change fairy will visit ,, lol murphy's law ,,,

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

You must have a pretty big Cal/Chin cross if you're french lop is only half their weight! Are you sure you don't have a mini?

6. GuineasRule

Nope not sure at all. He (cabot) was a pet store impulse! He lived in the house til last weekend. He just started being to ...male for me. Ride anything he could including my 100lb Saint pup! He is about 3-4 lbs and black & white.

The girls were born Feb 12th I was told. Size wise they are about the same size as Cabot now. Consideing they are only 8 weeks or so they look HUGE!

Everyone seems to be doing well but Cabot would really like to be in the same cage as the girls. I told him he has to wait another 4-5 months.

7. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

MMM sounds like a mini ,,, I have no experience with small rabbits at all ,, now I will say right away ,, but I find myself wondering ,, for your sake ,,

IF the buck will be big enough :rolleyes: ,, that the does would / will allow him to mount ,, since hes just 4 pounds ,, first time does can be difficult as it is ,,

they will be around 7-8 pounds when 'ready' (or thats about when my Cals does were mature :) ) and a Cals does weights are from 8 - 10+ pound when mature ,, I think I'm remembering correctly ,,

I remember you said the does were crosses but thats probably about their top weights I'd imagine ,, NZ's go to 11-12+ pounds ,, ( I had 1 WNZ doe weighed 12.6 pds had 12/13 raised 11 twice ;) )

now if you had a med size rabbit Tans , Florida whites I've heard are smaller meat breeds a mini might would be able to breed with it easier ,,

Have you looked for any pennysaver magizines to see if anyone has any breeds you might like ,, or checked for rabbit shows ,, LOL take empty cages and $$ ,, you know :D you could get him a mini mate and let them raise ,, minis make great hotwings and stews ,, lol