My new buck & his trick

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

My new buck, (he's 6 months this month) learned a wonderful new trick! :no:

If he jumps j-u-s-t right, he can land on top of the chicken coop & goat barn roofs!! They're about 12 feet off of the ground, after he prances around for awhile up there, he JUMPS off the highest peak!! :eek:

He thinks he's all that when he's up there, but I'm worried about him breaking a leg or worse. He can also clear a 5ft fence in a single leap. My doe has no interest in leaping, climbing maybe!

My husband is worried about holes in the new roof or roofing paper. He also loves to slide down the roof, should keep his hooves trimmed! :rolleyes:

Tricia

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

boys will be boys.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

NAUGHTY!!!!

You need to find a way to zap him and think twice before he tries again! We had some boys that liked jumping on the car so we gave them an old sofa to exercise on...and they loved it!

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh dear. I hope you get your doe bred before he breaks his leg or your hubby sends him packing. I had a nice little buck break a leg jumping over a four foot fence to share the doe's feed, right before he was to come with us on our cross country move. I splinted the leg, and was told it healed well. Had to give him away because he couldn't have made the trip.
    If you can't break him of the habit, I expect he'll get tiresome to keep.
    mary

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

One of our little bucklings loved to "surf" on one of the very pregnant does. She was wide enough and she stood for it. Even got a picture!
    [​IMG]

6. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

That picture is just too cute.

I don't know what to tell you about the Buck, maybe you could try tying him for a few days and he might lose interest. I have been wondering about my Buck getting on the top of the house. He comes up on the deck and has gotten onto the hot tub. I was telling my son the other day that if he wanted to, he could get up on the house quite easily. As it is now, he is content with coming up the steps to the deck and then leaping off.

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

That photo is so cute that I saved it to my computer!

As far as the jumping buck, would it help to put more playthings in the fenced area, such as telephone wire spools or other stuff he could jump on????

A friend of mine, one of their goat sheds is kind of underground....the roof is kind of just an extension of the ground from the back but is about 10 feet off the ground in the front....so the goats love to get up on the roof from the back and then jump off! Nobody has been injured so far....

But the man I buy my goats from has a little doe goat that got her leg hung in a hay rake and had to have her left amputated. Instead of selling her for meat he's giving her to a lady who will keep her for a pet. She is really a pretty little thing!

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

goats just love to jump. they all do it, it is just some will really go to town with it, while others won;t do it as much. that is a really cute picture.

9. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

If he doesn't stop, you might want to think about selling. Goats tend to teach other goats their bad habits -- he might teach every other animal you have to jump over and... that will be bad.