My name is on the list

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Oct 24, 2006.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I had the first interview with the Dept of Agriculture yesterday. I am applying for The Cheese Mobile. www.thecheesemobile.com
    It is a county developed, selfcontained, mobile processing plant. I am one of 5 interested in having it on my farm. The county has paid for all the nessacery equipment, pasturizer included. It's purpose is to start you off in the business of cheese making without spending any of your own money. Once the cheese mobile has been on you farm the county helps you get a grant from the state to build your own processing plant if you want to continue. This is all in an effort to keep agriculture alive in Sullivan county. If not this time around the next opportunity will be in two years. I will hear from them around dec-Jan.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Steff

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Thanks for that post, Steve. I'm going to pass that on to PASA and the PA Dept of Ag. Maybe we can get something going like that.

Ruth

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh; that is BRILLIANT...I wish they had something like that here! How many gallons/pounds of milk do you have to produce to qualify? How often will they come to your place?

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Wow, sounds like a neat idea-- and cheeses can be made from just about any kind of milk-- Like in France, the difference between two cheeses is not the process, but the milk source-- goat or sheep!!!

Terry

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What a great idea! Wonder if any other states/counties have something similar to that?

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Apparently there is something similar in the works in my area. I notified PASA and they let me know about it.

Ruth

7. steff bugielski

How many gallons/pounds of milk do you have to produce to qualify? How often will they come to your place?

There is no qualifying amount. and they leave the unit on your property for 2 years.
    steff

8. steff bugielski

You could use it to do any cheese, yogurt, even ice cream. Every thing you need is on board all you need to supply is milk. I will most likely do a hard cheese because in NY if it is aged 60+ days it can be from raw milk. Also a hard cheese is easily shipped.
    Steff

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Two years?! Holy cow! Do they make more than one? Wouldn't it be hard to be 5 back on the "wait list?" Do other folks from the area get to come to your place and use it as well? Tell me more, tell me more! I visited the site but didn't get the above questions answered...grrrrr!

10. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

Good Luck, Steff! It sounds like the chance of a lifetime...

11. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Dang!! With the number of goat dairies around here milking for Jackson Mitchell we could sure use a few of those! People are barely making it selling milk. With the right marketing, cheese would be a whole different story. Someone tried a cheese plant quite a distance west of here, but they were too far from the dairies. Bet Jackson Mitchell would pay a bit more to keep their contracts then!!

12. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

WHY WONT THEY DO THIS IN TEXAS!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

That's right. I went all pirate on ya!! pout. In fact *SUPER POUT* (WITH THE *LOOK* and EVERYTHING!!!!!)

13. steff bugielski

Hey take the idea to your Dept. of Agriculture.

I guess you could let other folks use it but why?
    I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    The guy said that many of the other 4 just want to use it to bottle milk. He thought it would be a shame not to use it for cheese. Sounds like maybe I have a good chance. I would not mind waiting one more time, 5 would stink though.
    Steff

14. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Do you already have to be a grade A dairy or do they help set that up too?

15. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Oops, my Grade A dairy barn is now our house! :shrug:

16. steff bugielski

I do not know if it is grade A but i do have a permit to sell raw milk.