Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She had to leave last night for a family emergency (nothing tragic. Just my niece being a doofus again). She won't be back probably until Thursday.

You're wondering why I'm posting this in S&EP. :p

Ok, the thing is, I have hundreds of DVD movies. She likes almost all of them, but she doesn't care at all for the Sci Fi, Horror, and Fantasy. I've been waiting for a chance to watch them. Yes, I could watch them on my pc, but the sound bothers her.

So I'm on a Sci Fi, Horror, and Fantasy binge. :D

The one I just put in: Warriors of the Wasteland AKA Nuovi barbari

A post Stuff HTF movie. Corny as all get out: it sure ain't no Postman. But I get to watch it all by myself! :dance:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Neat Ladycat.
Make sure to check under your bed and in the closets before going to bed tonight!

Angie

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I am an absolute nut for that Japanese cartoon called "Ghost in the Shell", so I like to watch it on the DVD player. It's got paranoid government agencies, misinformation, population control, all in a techno-totalitarian future state which I find simply fascinating. :)

So I can totally agree with your sci-fi binge. Nothing wrong with it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crazy thing about "Warriors of the Wasteland", people were scrabbling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, and everyone's hair was combed, and the women wore makeup!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I get a kick out of those movies too. :) Like the Mad Max series ... you're running around in the desert worried about gasoline when there's so obviously NOTHING to eat? And where'd you get that stainless steel bikini with the iron spikes, honey? Do you think that's practical desert attire?

The Postman was a good movie, but I'd read the book first and it just was too different. Almost the only things they shared were the title and a character who was ... well ... a postman.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On those occasional times that the wife and kids are out of the house and I'm not busy doing something else I like to pull down the movie collection as well. What I watch depends on my mood at the time, but chances are good it's going to be one of the Tremors flicks as I like the way both the monster and the people keep adapting to changing circumstances.

Or it might be Them!. Or possibly Tarantula!. I love those old b&w atomic monster movies.

In a rare great once in a while I'll pull out The Day After or Threads. A little of those goes a long ways though.

.....Alan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love those old b&w atomic monster movies.
Me too.

Corny or realistic, I love them all.

I used to watch the old B&W sci-fi and horror movies on Saturday morning. They came on after the cartoons went off. Well, they were B&W anyway because we had a B&W TV LOL. But when we finally got a color TV, those movies were still B&W.

·
Five Oaks Ranch-in SW AR
325 Posts
My laptop has a headphone jack. Very helpful.

anette

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
The Postman was a good movie, but I'd read the book first and it just was too different. Almost the only things they shared were the title and a character who was ... well ... a postman.
Dang right! I read the Brin novel a coupla' times in high-school.
A good book and a good movie, but after watching the movie, I kinda' wondered exactly where they got off giving it the same title.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Trying to bring a science fiction novel to film and still have it resemble the novel is nearly impossible. I was able to hear the late Charles Sheffield talk on that at a Sci-Fi convention. Personally, I thought The Postman was a pretty good attempt. I also think The Puppetmasters was pretty good. Sure, they didn't have flying cars and they didn't have people running around naked so they could check for parasites but that would have cost money and got them an X rating, limiting their audience. Starship Troopers stunk, though. I just don't think you can do that properly without the suits.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I am an absolute nut for that Japanese cartoon called "Ghost in the Shell", so I like to watch it on the DVD player. It's got paranoid government agencies, misinformation, population control, all in a techno-totalitarian future state which I find simply fascinating. :)

So I can totally agree with your sci-fi binge. Nothing wrong with it!
Oh my goodness. This is probably one of the last places I expected to see that pop up. We like it too, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Kayleigh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts