My most awesome day

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Wednesday, the girls & I went to the local public school to listen to a 97 year old lady speak. She was supposed to talk about teaching in a 1 room school house...

This lady spent about an hour talking about everything that she's experienced! She talked about how her grandpa came from Ohio to Illinois in a covered wagon, the first time she saw a car & her dad said they were the ugliest things he had ever seen & they would never replace the horse. she talked about the steam trains & the heyday of trains & how every town had a rail station in it.

She talked about the telegraph & how fun it was to get a note.

She talked about teaching in a 1 room school house & how much better it was than today's schools.

When asked what her secret was for longevity, she said faith in God. If you don't have faith in God, you don't have hope (I know not everyone here believes this, but it did my heart good).

It reminded me of me as a kid sitting at my grandpa's feet listening to him tell stories about working in the coal mine & my grandma making home brew & stories of living through the depression. I could have listened to her for hours..

What an awesome day!!

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

What a wonderful experience for everyone! If only more people would take an interest in what our seniors have to say. Imagine if everyone took a little time to visit some of the lonely people in nursing homes! My "Gram" (great aunt actually), lived to be 99. She was born on a mountain in Kentucky. She never learned how to drive, ride a bike, or even ride a horse. I treasure the stories she told me, and I pass them on to my son. I had been checking on an elderly neighbor every day while his daughter was at work over the last year. He was an officer during WW2, and was once a prize fighter! Sadly, he passed away right before Christmas. I'm so glad I got to spend some time with him and hear his wonderful stories. I'm glad you and the kids enjoyed your day with her! Thanks for reminding us what treasures our elders are!

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I also enjoy listening to the older people talk. I have very fond memories of my grandparents telling their stories. And I love to get my Dad talking about his younger days. I don't think we sit and talk and listen enough.
    mary

4. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member

I agree with spending time with seniors. My wife is Nurses Assistant at a nursing home. We take our children there a lot just to listen to the stories. They went up to a WWII veteran on Veteran's Day and thanked him for what he had done. This man was a POW and never talked about it, but when my children thanked him he got out his Purple Heart and Bronze Star and told them his story. Its a win win situation. The children learn and the seniors feel important again.

Animal

5. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

we make a point to tell veterans thank you whenever we see one... same with any serviceman.....

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Just think of all of the lives this women has touched by telling her stories. I am sure she makes a life lasting impression on many. Bless her heart; wish I was there to hear her. :)

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

8. One of the few neat things about being older is the connection I had with a lady that went way back in history. In 1955 Dad bought a farm in SE Kansas. Our neighbors had their grandmother living on their place, she had outlived all of her children. Granny was born in 1850 making her 105 years old at that time and made it to almost 107. She lived in a small house by herself, did her own housekeeping and cooking, and went to church every Sunday. Her mind was still very sharp, she vividly remembered the Civil War and the bloody battles in that part of Kansas. She showed me a silver coin that she said was given to her by one of the James gang after they spent the night in their barn and her mother fixed breakfast for them. I visited her as often as I could, I loved to listen to her stories, which I believe were true, and regret that I had not had the chance to know her longer. While she was a rare individual being both very old and still having a good mind, there are a lot of interesting older folks around with a lot of knowledge to share if anyone were willing to spend a little time with them listening.

9. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

<<we make a point to tell veterans thank you whenever we see one... same with any serviceman.....>>
    dawndra,
    once at a local feedstore, i happened to be present when two old guys that worked there mutually discovered that they had both served in the philippine islands during wwII. one had been at leyte, i think, and the other at kwajelein (sp?) i think.

i wanted to thank them both and shake their hands if they would have done it. but my inhibitions won out and i was too shy. do u find, then, that thanking a veteran turns out ok? i would have felt it was a real honor to shake these two men's hands.

10. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

usually when we do it, they're suprised, because that sort of thing doesn't happen much, then they're greatful. Some blush & say, you're welcome & others say it was no big deal.

I was in the Dr. office once & an army serviceman came in. He was wearing him fatugues. I went over to him, shook his hand & said... I just wanna thank you for your sacrifice. He says... you've made my day.. thanks!

It's just the least I can do to let them know that they don't serve in vain.

11. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

<<It's just the least I can do>>

yeah.

12. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Don't just listen to these wonderful stories, folks! Tape record them, videotape them, write them down - do something to preserve these eyewitness accounts of history in the making!

God Bless the Veterans, Police and Firemen for all they do and have done!
    Judi