My meter pole is leaning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

and getting worse. Only been up about 17 months. We have sandy soil here and I don't think the guy set it deep enough or put enough concrete around it. What can I do to fix it?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there a brace cable on it? If not there should be. Hereabouts the meter pole is the power companys responsibility. Is it the same there?

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................The best way would be to install a bolt with an eyelet on the opposite (180 degrees) side of the pole(as high as possible) by drilling completely thru and installing the bolt . Then , run a cable from the eyelet down too a deadman cemented into the ground with a turnbucle attached to the cable . Now , if possible tighten the turnbuckle until it pulls the pole back into a vertical situation . You'll have to evaluate the relative "looseness" of the hole as the pole could "lean" towards "Jonses" either right or left rather than moving straight back into the vertical . Personally , I'd call your rural electric provider and solicit their help in the matter by feigning "poverty" , etc. :lookout: LOL . Now , is the perfect time for the Cookies and Lemonaide
    routine to gain maximum leverage to get your powerpole ....fixed . LOL , fordy... :goodjob:

4. danoon

danoon Well-Known Member

Someone with a backhoe to push it straight. Guide wires into good metal stakes or 4x4 posts to brace it. A comealong and some cable might work.

Or call the guy back to reset it.. though that includes having the power off for a couple days probably and the electric company being there exactly when you need them and we all know the possiblity of that happening. :)

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I would def. call the power Co that installed it, if you mess with it and damage the meter or the entry service wire you may up responsible for the cost of replacement, and it ain't cheap I tell ya.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is my pole and meter loop. I had to pay for it and hire the guy to install it.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Is this pole next to your house? I have seen a few next to houses or trailers start to lean from the weight/tension of the wires. Most do a halfarsed job of trying to brace them. Aside from being able to put a cable and tie down opposite the pull I would say the permanent fix is the one you don't want to hear.

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Cyng I'd call the guy that put it in. Mine's falling over but I live on a swamp and it's to be expected. I pounded a number of 2x4's in the ground 2-3' away from the pole and nailed them to the pole to help support it and it's really working well. But it's a smaller than standard pole...

9. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

The older you get the more it leans.

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Mine rotted and broke off at ground level I just lassoed it and pulled it up and tied it to a tree