My local Albertson's is encouraging "panic" mentality

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Christine in OK, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

I stopped in there yesterday for dishwasher soap, and noticed a few signs up through the store "Severe Weather Alert! Stock up on"...things like windshield de-icer, chili or stew meat and seasonings, crackers, hot cocoa mix, etc., etc.

Great - just what I need, a bunch of panicky nutcases filling their carts with junk while I'm trying to buy soap. Of course, this will be a true emergency - the ice and snow might stick around 3 or 4 days - the horror!!!! :shrug: :rolleyes:

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Sounds like here. DH's company didnt work yesterday or today because of low temp threats. (would cause compressors to freeze.) Didn't get that cold until this afternoon! So, we lose 2 days of income due to panic. But those compressors were nice and toasty!

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know where in OK you are exactly, Christine, but according to weather.com, my zipcode location MAY get a snow shower on Sunday, rain Saturday and all sunny next week.

4. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

It's called marketing. Anyone dumb enough to buy into it, well. I don't think I need to say any more! I wouldn't let it upset you.

5. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

you want to see a real panic over a storm come here!!!

6. Kris W.

Kris W. unregistered user

"California is the place to be....." I'm WARM~!

7. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Dutchie, I'm smack in the middle - between OKC and Guthrie, in that rich little snob town. All the OKC stations are showing that it's basically a sure thing we're going to get hit tomorrow/Saturday. Bad thing is, Lance has to work Saturday, he's trying to think of a way to keep the truck from getting ice-coated.

Pat, it's not so much that it upsets, me, it just irritates me a little bit. People around here panic enough when someone says "snow". And I would think by now Oklahomans would be used to ice - and they're right, you don't want to drive on it if you can avoid it. But generally, it's gone or the trucks have taken care of it in a couple of days.

Kris ~ :p

Ninn, don't you hate that?! Not only are you losing pay, but I always feel like everyone else is waiting, just get in there and get it done!

8. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

When we moved to Oklahoma, I was amused by the amount of drama by the weather folks. Granted, this is tornado country, but every potential storm of any kind seems to get a Chicken Little treatment.

I think we are on the very south end of the possible ice and much will depend on if the cold and the rain happen at the same time. It's supposed to be 60 degrees today.

Of course, my scoffing at the dreaded predictions guarantees 3" of ice.

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

last nights local news had a bit on getting prepared for bad weather,avian flu,whatever...lady showed her well-stocked pantry but from her comments she was into preparedness way more than she let on. Smug feeling knowing you don't have to join all the people stocking up for another media hyped non-weather event! They are going on and on about possible ice and low temps to come this week---duh, it is winter folks even if half the doodies at the store are wearing shorts! A little early to quit worrying about the wood pile holding out. DEE

10. melina

melina Well-Known Member

Here in westark, when they whisper snow, look out! Every lactose-intolerant little old lady who hasn't drank a drop of milk in 30 years runs to the store for a gallon. And a loaf of bread while she's there. And toilet paper. Mustn't forget the tp.
    But you know what, when I lived in Colorado the news stations would send their poor reporters out in the snow to report on conditions. They'd do a whole show just on the weather. Hello! It's Colorado, you morons! It's SUPPOSED to snow! I suppose they have to do that, everyone else is, so all the stations follow suit, but gimme a break, I have windows, I can see what it's doing out there. Don't risk the life of some poor third-string kid reporter to tell me in person what they can report with a crawl at the bottom of the screen.
    Sorry, end of rant.

11. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Any advertising you see in a store, TV or where ever is based on some calamity that might befall you if you don't use their product. Fear is a big motivator inn advertising. just look at tooth whiteners.. If the sun doesn't shine and blind somebody when you open your mouth your a low life

12. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Think of it this way - if they stock up now, they won't be in your lines later. :D

13. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I bet they will then, too. It seems that every time there's a hint of snow, there is a stampede to the grocery to buy all the milk, bread, and bottled water in sight! :rolleyes:

14. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I am all for anything that gets people stocking up even if it is a marketing ploy.

Too many people don't pay attention and then lo and behold! Bad weather and they are hungry. I would rather deal with annoying shoppers in the store than have those panicky nutcases trying to get to the store during a storm.

So is it the marketing you are upset with or the fact that people would be more rude than usual in a grocery store and more likely get in the way? :p

While we're at it:
    Can anyone tell me what gene causes people to stop their cart exactly side by side in an aisle so you can't get past?! :shrug:

15. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

What gets me is when they show the Home Depot sold out of shovels in a few hours every snowstorm. Who are these hoards of people in the Northeast that do not own snow shovels?

This year the retailers are sitting on winter items because it has been very mild here (North Jersey). Yesterday we had our first snow of the winter. It was only dusting, that was gone as fast as it came. It's a new record for the latest snowfall, in these parts, that was over 100 years old.

Good Winter to buy expensive coats and snowblowers at a discount!

16. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I agree with Burbsteader - I think it's better than funding a Red Cross-like bail-out with our tax dollars for those that didn't prepare!

17. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

I guess we are blessed here that people must be stocked up on things you need when it snows. We can go to the store a day or an hour before a storm and there is no difference in numbers of people shopping. When we get close to the end of a loaf of bread we go to the freezer and get another out and replace it next trip out. We usually keep at least 3 in the freezer. Regardless of summer or winter we keep stocked up on things so if we want to stay home for weeks at a time we can. Good luck finding milk and bread. Sam

18. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

What I don't understand is....why don't people get stocked up and prepared BEFORE a storm or disaster strikes??? If you live in an area with snow, buy the snow shovel BEORE you need it. It's not a wasted purchase if it DOESN'T snow because chances are that you WILL need it in the future sometime.

19. Dutchie

Dutchie Well-Known Member Supporter

I am over in the Mannford/Cleveland area but have to be in Edmond tomorrow and in Stratford on Saturday.

We'll see how THAT works out :p

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you guys have a big tarp? We've slung tarps over our vehicles and secured the tarps to the frame and bumpers with bungees. Keeps the ice out of the locks and doors, just flip the tarp off when you're ready to roll.

Keep warm! :)

Pony!