My Livestock Guardian solution...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DH finally got the barn completed, but as you can tell the rails leave something to be desire when fencing in sheep. Didn't take them more than a couple of days to realize they could step through to the outside. So we put them back out in the large pasture (with the small barn) and kept the horse in the small paddock with the large barn. But she didn't like that arrangement, so pushed down the field fencing between the paddock and the sheep so she could get back in with them! Can't say she isn't dedicated to her flock...although perhaps a trifle confused for a horse, lol!

[​IMG]

Tait has been having a great time in the snow and 'helps' herd the sheep. They're all pretty docile and no one has challenged her, thankfully, with the exception of the horse. I'm thinking I'll have quite the working dog on my hands here!

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

horses make great sheeep gaurds!! our guys were out with the sheep all summer( used too be in seperate pastures in years past) we had very few losses this year. tait sure looks too be having fun!! barn and fence look very nice too!

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

That is soooo cute!!

You know I used to have miniature horses and Icelandic's(horses) when I had sheep, in with the sheep. With the right horse..like yours...they got to be pretty protective of their Challenged cousins. (My horses treated them like not too bright babies :rolleyes: )

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

We had a board fence already here when we bought this house. I just ran electric wires in the spaces to keep the sheep in. Cheap and easy!

5. kesoaps

That one dorset ewe in the back doesn't care about electric...she just pushes her head down and plows on through. Once she's gone I may give the hot wire another try, as the icelandics always behaved well inside of it. I think if the wire is between the rails it will help. :rolleyes:

6. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

Electric fence has never slowed down are sheep

7. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

wow that's great! My horse also guards our flock, but when I contacted ASI, (American Sheep Institute) they told me that you'd be lucky to get 1 horse out of 2,000 to be a guard animal. (So, now I'm wondering if it's just that the horse hasn't has a fair chance at guarding?) sounds like a lot of people have guard horses... For us, it's great, except for when I'm trying to get 4 sheep out to give a demonstration, then the horse is a pain and ALWAYS in the way wondering where I'm taking "her" sheep off too.

I like your fence! (I'd ditch the one sheep that keeps getting out, it's just not worth it, ...but that's me)

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Horses are herd animals. I'm sure your horse feels more secure with the sheep, since she doesn't have other horses to hang out with. I have to mini donkeys. The donkeys for one subset, the sheep another subset, but they herd together. The donkeys will protect the sheep, they've been with them since they were foals.

I'd run a single hot wire under the lowest board, then another between the lowest and the next one. The lowest wire would have to be situated so the sheep would HAVE to touch it with their nose to get under the board.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I wouldn't rush out and buy any guard animal, least of all a horse...... OK least of all a dog, but as we have horses and ponies and I just plain would have them anyhow the simple fact that they guard the sheep is a workable senerio here and added benefit. I am sorry to hear that horses aren't notable guard animals, but very glad ours do. Nice barn Kesoaps and that pup is sure growing!!! What's with the white stuff?

10. kesoaps

Well, that would be what one would think...but the truth is she could take or leave other horses. Which is pretty odd since she came from a herd in the wild. But once in captivity, she could care less about whether or not there are other horses nearby. She doesn't whiney at the neighbor horses (who are just across the fence) or really care one way or the other if any go down the road. She's been that way since being seperated; she was turned into a paddack a week after adoption and while the colt alongside of her wanted to play, she completely ignored him. Go figure, eh? But don't mess with her lambs! :hobbyhors

Oye...the white stuff! You'd think I lived in some God forsaken land like Ontario or Wisconsin, wouldn't you? :p We've had serious weather issues including power outages and loss of cable. My sister even lost her phone (egads, what a horrible thing that would be!) The past couple of days it's gotten above freezing, but then at night anything that's melted is turned into ice again. No sanding, no salting, no plowing...I've got three inches of compact snow and ice in front of the house right now. Don't get me started on the snow... :grump: