Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the story!
in late July and all of August a friend of ours was so kind to take my little doe Ms. Beth and her fello (wether) Jacob. While we moved into our new home and got everything settled.. During this time our friend some how forgot that he had our two babies and put his buck in with all his does and mine. And when I showed up to pick her up is when he realized they all were together.. (smacks forehead) I am not mad at the friend just wish he would have told us. Now, my little ms beth who is 10 months old has doubled in size but only at her belly in the past 3 weeks. I swear i have seen her right side shifting and moving (the same as when i was pregnant with my child). her vulva area is soft and well she hasn't had a heat session at all since she has been home. Any ideas what to look for? I have been around goats alot just different now when the man who told me what to do and how to do it without explanation is 6 feet under and it's all up to me is kind of scary...

·
Registered
478 Posts
What breed is she? I see no problem with the breeding if she is dairy or meat; and is good shape (100 pounds+) Your other way to go is abort her.

Patty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is a nubian/alpine. I won't abort her, I just need a little help to know what i am watching for where to look. And anything else ya can tell me that will help with a successful birth! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
watch the area around her tail on top of her rump. as she gets close to kidding it will start to look more and more sunk in and you will almost be able to wrap your fingers around her spine just above her tail. this is what people are talking about when the say the have lost their ligaments. normally there is a pencil size ligament running alongside at an angle to their spine near their tail that loosens and seems to dissapear when labor is near. most does will also develop and udder for a time before kidding. does she appear to have more than a little pooch in her udder area? a few hours before kidding the udder will get very full and almost shiney because the skin is stretched real tight. start feeling the udder and the ligament area every day a few times per day now so that when the change happens you will know the difference. when you see a shiney hard udder or loss of ligaments I would make sure she is locked in an area that is safe to kid in. with a water bucket high enough that she couldn't poop (or drop a kid) in it if she tried or that she has to reach thru a fence to get at. good luck! most likely everything will take care of itself as far as the birthing process goes but it wouldnt' hurt for you to read up a bit about kidding positions, how long to expect the doe to labor before suspecting a problem etc.....

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
The soft vulva area is a sign of approaching birth. It means that her pelvis is spreading and she is dilating.

Watch the back of her udder. It normally has a pleat in it. When it gets smooth and taut, she's close.

You'll fall in love instantly once you see the kids.

Good luck.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thank you all. DH and the kids are getting exciting and me i'm just nervous. We will be in the house raising the baby/babies because i do not have a barn. I guess I'm not the only one on this farm who's had oopsie pregnancies. Thank goodness I like the buck! lol Thank you again everyone. I am going to sit and watch and hope she can do it all without me. And if she can't I hope from everything I had read in the past day that I will do fine. (Plus, I have many peoples emails so i can ask alot of questions)
I felt the tail thing and i can almost touch my fingers together underneath so is that a close sign? I will check her sack before i go to bed and again in the morning to see if any difference..

:rock::dance: for my oopsie babies! hope to have pics for everyone!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
PICTURES and more pictures ASAP.

You know Ms. Beth will make you wait .. and wait .... and...

Can you determine the window of the buck exposure? It could give you a window of expectation and help your nerves..
Best to you all. Paul

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Ask him when he put the buck in. She could have been bred as early as that, or as late as the day you picked her up.

Starting 145 days from that day, check the doe's ligaments 2x per day, every day. The doe's ligaments will 'disappear' when she is in labor. She should present kids within 12 hours of losing said ligaments. If she doesn't, go in and see if she is dilated and if she is, explore to find the problem. Sometimes a doe won't ever actually begin pushing AT ALL but be in labor - because of a large kid or a stuck kid. I've had a couple like that.

Go to fiasco farm's website for kidding mispresentations. Really, they are all pretty easy to fix, just takes a strong hand... Gently but firmly moving those kids back into place.

Likely, though, your doe will kid just fine all on her own. After she presents her 'last' kid, however, always scrub up and investigate to make sure. It's the only sure way to tell wether she is done and not stopping because of a stuck kid, etc.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
most people do not routinely go in to make sure there are no more kids. boucning them is a good way to check. the fiasco farm site shows you how to do it. unless there is reason to believe that there is a problem I would suggest that you not go in to check for more kids as that only would increase the possibility of introducing bacteria that could cause a uterine infection. if you are just entering the vaginal canal to determine dilatioin then that is one thing but feeling around inside the uterus on a routine basis doesn't sound like a good idea to me. just my opinion though everybody does things different. personally the risk of complications from procedures that are very unlikly to have any benefit is greater than the small risk that it could actually help by way of finding a problem. Ifeel the same way for human medical care. in humans ob's often have caused the very problems they say they are fixing with the interventions.

I also feel that checking for dilation based only on the loss of ligaments is probably not neccessary, especially for someone inexperienced in feeling for them. the birthing process is complicated and not fully understood lots of things have to be in place hormonally. humans can be partially dilated for weeks before labor and I have no reason to believe that other mammals would be any different. assuming that a doe should be in labor just because her ligs are gone sets up the scene to assume the kids are positioned incorrectly when you check. leaving you thinking you saved the day. sort of a duh. the kids aren't positioned so the does isn't in labor because neither one are quite ready yet. a simple intervention leading to manual positioning, oxytocin for weak contractions etc...when all that was needed was a little patience. :) IOF your doe is pushing hard (this is obvious and often accompanied by a scream) and has not made any progress for 15- 30 minutes then you need to worry.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[

Go to fiasco farm's website for kidding mispresentations.
I have seen this farm mentioned several times..anyone familiar with the owners? thanks

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
wait..i have a question as well. my doe lost her ligaments yesterday morning and still hasent kidded. any idead why?

·
Love My Manchas!
1,803 Posts
well...i can get a finger and a half up there...im new so not sure if thats "dialated" or not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts