My least favorite time of year

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HilltopDaisy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Living in NY is hard this time of year. We've had brutal cold for weeks. I don't think we've gotten above freezing in weeks. Today is like a heat wave, and I bet it's not 25 degrees.

It's too early to start anything indoors. Won't be doing that for a couple months. I'm sick of looking at catalogs, sick of snow and shoveling, sick of wind and freezing temps.

I need ideas for better ways of dealing with this. What are you doing to combat this cabin fever? I spend very little time indoors from May to November. I can't stand this being cooped up. Seriously, it's too cold to do much besides the absolute necessities.

I'm planning on making a drawing of this year's garden, and placement of the new fruit trees, but I want more ideas. Thanks, Daisy

2. bre

bre Active Member

Winter time is a good time to fix things in the garden that you're not able to get to in the spring time, like broken trellises, arbours, etc. You could build some cold frames to get some cool season veggies started. Quilting, sewing, hemming, catching up on all those projects that have been set aside because of being too busy in the summer.
    Hope some of these suggestions help.
    Bre

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Well theres always the Comp :) Have you seen the newest landscape program??? Its pretty pricey around 50 to 75 depending on where you go, but you can design your garden around your house! You take a picture of your house scan it into the comp, poof you get 360 view to design stuff based on your property.... ... Also you could always go to Thrift stores and hunt up new plant pots, or some good books to read, or go thru the closets and organize..
    I am incubating eggs :) Its fun, and can be done indoors... Then when they are big enough to face the outside world (In a building with a booder of course) it will give you reason to get out of the house and care for the cute fuzzballs.... Ive just hatched out a bunch of quail, who after 2 weeks in a box in the house have been moved out to the shop with a heat lamp... They are so much fun...

Just so you wont feel TOO bad My friend in Alaska is sitting at -46 , the Weather Channel says feels like -62 LOL
    We are at 46 but being in Calif thats cold for us....
    Hang in there Soon spring will be here!!

4. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

Another New-Yorker here- I sympathize. One thing that has helped us (a little) is feeding the birds. It's a joy to see something living in this frozen landscape. Having to refill the feeders and suet cake holders forces me to go outside- once I'm out, I find it's really not that bad.
    The end of January I usually start onions, leeks and parsley seed- just to get something growing! If you have lights, you can get them off to a good start.
    Good luck; it doesn't last forever!

5. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Be sure you're getting enough light - are you suffering from SAD? Hmmm, some more ideas - take up sprouting - easy and inexpensive to start, nothing like growing any type food during the winter. Do you have access to a library? If so, check out tons and tons of gardening books to keep you feeling like you're outside. Get some houseplants. Increase the light in your house for a while and see if that lifts your mood. Make some easy birdhouses.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone. I think it's just the cold that has me feeling blue. It's so windy that you can't spend any time outside without risking serious frostbite.

I've decided to redo one of the bigger rooms and make it my bedroom. That ought to keep me occupied for a while. This room is full of windows, and bigger than the room I now sleep in. New flooring, some light-colored paint and flowery curtains (that I'll sew), I'm feeling better already! Change of scenery, in a way.

7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're able to, go to a professional greenhouse and walk around. Breathe in the air, enjoy the plants and flowers! It isn't a cure for that crappy feeling, but it helps.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

This is nearly my favorite time of year for gardening related stuff.

There's no mosquitoes, gnats, or fire ants to annoy.

It's not hot or humid.

Except for the coldest days it's cool enough to be invigorating and keep me working doing all the mulch raking, pruning, etc that needs to be done.

Now last weekend was just a bit on the cold side with the gusty wind and all. Had to wear a jacket as well as long sleeved shirt.

Sit at a desk all week long then bust my behind all weekend outside in the cold air. This morning I hurt all over.

But my blueberries never looked so good and I can't wait for them to bud out and blossom. I'm steadily building a monstrous pile of mulch material for the new garden spot too. Now all I have to do is fork it into the truck, move it to the site, fork it all out again and spread it.

But not today!

.....Alan.

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I would never make it through winter in any degree of sanity if it were not for my grow lights.

http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v63/gardiacaprines/Indoor garden/hypostes.jpg

I have things that are slow growing that I started the first of December and some geraniums that are going to be so big there is no room for us by spring, but it keeps me happy.

Nice to "see" you Alan and know you are still homesteading!!!