My lawn mowers pull handle broke

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Sumer, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

Hi all you know it alls,
    I need some help here. I hope someone can talk me thru this. The rope to my lawn mowers pull handle broke so bad this time I had to buy a new rope and handle.Today after work I decided to try and fix it. Its just a stupid old lawn mower, meijer brand if it matters.
    Right now it is torn apart and I am covered with grease. There is a plastic cover and then a metal cover to the engine that I already took off. I cant believe every bolt seems to be a different size. It took me 2 hours alone finding sockets and wrenches to fit them all. On the top inside of the metal cover is where the rope goes.
    Ok now this is where I am stuck, I got the rope into the microscopic teeny hole where It seems to have to go on some disk like thing inside the cover and tied it in where I picked the old knot out from.
    Now what do I do? Does the whole thing have to be wound up and then put back on the engine or will it wind up all by itself some how afterwards?
    I never did this before can ya tell?
    Sumer

2. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

Well I tried to finish it before it gets too dark out there. I wound the disk thing the rope goes on and stuck it back on and screwed it all back up, Lost a socket somewere too. I pulled the new cord and nothing. It didnt wind back up. The rope is just laying there now. I am disqusted. I just dont get it.
    Theres a metal spring looking thing under the disk,but I just dont know how to get it to get springie Does anybody know if I have to wind up the disk thing and THEN thread the rope onto the disk thru the microscopic hole?
    Sumer

3. You have to wind the spring first, and then attach the rope.

cheers,

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, that's what you gotta do. Have fun, every time you about get it, it will go 'springie' and then you can start over again....

You need it wound enough to have some tension, but not wound too much so it doesn't pull out very far.

--->Paul

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

here are the instructions [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+install+a+starter+rope[/ame]

6. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

That is what I was Hoping I didnt have to do.
    Oh well, I can do it.
    Thank you all for the help. I'll let you know if I get it working.

Sumer

7. Sumer

Sumer Well-Known Member

Hey, I did it. And it works too!!!
    I almost had 2 leftover screws but I found where they went finally. I didnt find the missing socket , Its probably lost in the foot long grass.
    Just when I tracked down my son to mow the lawn it started to rain.
    This is so cool ~ I feel like a genius. My son isnt so trilled.

Sumer

8. clc79092

clc79092 Member

Do not wind the spring first! It is so much easier to wind the rope on the spool with the spring relaxed the put back on mower. When the rope is pulled it will tighten the spring and when you release it the spring will unwind and coil the rope up as it does.