My Kids Are Here!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

After my spending the night in a tent in the aisle of my barn ( !!!! ) on "kid watch", Cayenne, my first freshener, first goat, Had TWINS!! Big, strong kids, a buckling and a doeling, who were up and nursing in 15 minutes!!!! The first born, the buckling, was hind-legs first (after an hour of labor, I had a feel and helped the up-side-down feet slide out). Then, sister was born a minute later!

Just had to tell SOMEONE ;-)

-Jill

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Oh how exciting :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: ! What colors are they? What breed are they? What was their sire and dams breed?

Sorry for all the questions but I am curious now :shrug: .

MotherClucker

3. jill.costello

My doe is a high-percentage Alpine Mutt, all silver/grey with faint badger-striping on her face and black dorsal stripe and black legs. The buck was a smashing Alpine; cream colored base color with his fringe along his back and legs all black tipped, and a tiny, dished head with handsome big eyes.

The buckling looks just like dad, and has a white star on his forehead, to boot.
    The doeling is still damp and covered in shmutz, but I think she'll be black or brown, no star.

Momma is VERY excited about them almost to the point of over-doing it- I just checked her again and she's bleating at them constantly and shuffling about; making it hard for them to nurse..... I believe she'll settle down, though, because she's been so INTO them since they arrived! She was a very private goatie since we got her, and let us pet her head only when SHE decided, but today she was wonderful to let us help her and handle her kids, etc! She even gave me a good face-wash with her tongue while I was showing the doeling a teat :)

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

How wonderful is that, are you keeping the girl? Our goats were like that too, at least as long as their babies were around and depending on if the babies liked us or not. Good luck with you goaties, have fun with them too.

5. jill.costello

I'm keeping them both- my two does are my resident weed-wackers, and so I'll wether the buckling and add two more mouths to my roving landscapers!!

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Well that works too!! They sure are fun to look at that's for sure. We have 7 mutt goats: 2 pregnant females, 3 doelings, 1 Buck, & 1 worthless can't-get-rid-of-him-cause-no-one-wan'ts-him buck: then we have 1 350 pound fullblood breeding Boer Buck who is the biggest crybaby ever, 1 red two teated fullblood Boer buckling, two Boer doelings one fullblood and the other 94% Boer, 7 pregnant female fullblood Boers, and 1 94% Boer Buckling who is going away soon. Other than the one male they are ALL staying, so I guess it might be O.K if you keep two :D LOL.

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Still have the two pictures in my photobucket account. :)
    [​IMG]
    Cayenne before she was bred.

Many congrats! Twins to boot!

Did you go ahead and get Coffee bred as well?
    [​IMG]

8. jill.costello

Wow! Thanks for posting the pic of Cayenne! No, we didn't force the issue with Coffee; she was so terrified of the buck; all of his blubbering and snorting just made her race around like a wild little thing, even though she was in heat. It's for the best, I'm sure. (in case everyone doesn't know, Coffee is my "slow" goat; possibly a "true" dwarf, who was regected by her dam & I chose to "save" her, even though she was obviously developmentally and mentally slow.) She is now a wonderful pet and companion to Cayenne, but lacking in common sense & instincts.

By the way, Cayenne is MUCH bigger now.... a full-grown doe! I forgot how little she was when those pics were taken!