My kids and I gleaned 4 BIG laundry baskets full of broccoli

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

this morning. I am keeping a bit for munching raw but do I need to blanch the stuff I plan to freeze? Or can I just put into freezer bags. I do not have any canning supplies, so I have to freeze. Its a whole lotta broccoli LOL :sing:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It will taste better if you blanch it. Not so strong. The flower heads can also have tiny worms in them. Soak it in salt water for a short while and they come out. Don't leave it in salt water too long or it ruins it.

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

How wonderful! I just love broccoli. :sing: Here's some info I googled:

The above is pretty terse and to the point. Here's a good link about freezing veggies: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5333.html

4. Quiver0f10

Thanks for the help and the links! Off to work :)

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Jean -- you can also (to save freezer space) prepare some for use as cream of broccoli soup. Soak it briefly in salt water, rinse it well in fresh water, and chop it up (peeled stems and all). Saute a chopped onion in a bit of oil or butter in a pan with a tight lid. When your onion is golden, add the broccoli and a cup or so of water and cover it. Let it simmer until the broccoli is tender, then turn off the heat and let it sit for a further 5-10 minutes. Empty the pot into a blender and blend until smooth -- add water sparingly if needed to make it blend. Freeze the puree in 2 cup portions.

When you're ready to make soup, place a portion in a saucepan and add an equal amount of milk. Heat it through, but don't let it boil. Season to taste. Yummy and cheap -- it can be done with any vegetable.

Tracy

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Man, 3 bushel!

Around here that would yield at least a quart of those little green worms---that turn white after blanching.

I often wonder how many of those worms we ate before I learned about the salt water soak.
    They're impossible to see on fresh brocolli.

7. Quiver0f10

LOL I couldn't believe how many worms we saw! I got 1 basket done and all the bags in the freezer. Will work on the rest tomorrow, and will definitely be making some up for soup as Tracy recommends. Great idea, thanks!

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If you soak in saltwater the protein content is much lower....

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Good for you.Yeah Jenn,soak in water for lower protien content,worms have lots of protein,LOL!

BooBoo-pure joke so dont read it wrong :D

10. uncle Will in In.

If you run it through the blender, you'll never notice the worms. They taste kinda like broccoli anyway. Makes a much more nourishing meal.
    It's gonna be a long cold winter.

11. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Broccoli is full of worms???? :eek:

I don't eat anythng green, but I'm sure gonna tell Herself about this; she loves the stuff.

12. uncle Will in In.

Give it to her HAGGIS. Pour it on!!

13. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Don't you just love gleaning stuff?!? On my lunch hour walks at work, I kept noticing an apple tree that had apples all over the ground. I thought to myself "Boy, would my goats & horse like those. If they aren't going to do anything with them, when I see them out, I'm going to ask them." Sure enough within a couple days my chance came when they were outside. They were delighted to give them to me. It made a win/win situation in that I got to pick up the apples so I got free apples and exercise, and they were getting rid of apples that were laying in their yard. I gave them a dozen farm fresh eggs to keep me in mind for next year!

Since that worked so well, I noticed a yard nearby where 2 apple trees were in the front yard again with apples on the ground. I knocked on the door and the elderly lady was delighted that I could use them. I still need to get a dozen eggs to her, but when I stopped the other day, she came out and mentioned she told her one neighbor down the street who had an apple tree and I could have those as well.

I went down lastnight and found out there are a total of 4 apple trees and also a pear tree. Most of the apples are past their prime, but the goats, horse, and chickens don't mind in the least! Next year I'll watch closer and start getting them as they drop providing a longer apple season for my critters as well as fresher ones.