Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have 1 inside cat..... She is 13 years old..... And all of a sudden has fleas.... I know that we probably brought them inside to her.... :Bawling: .... What is the best for getting rid of them.... She is allergic to frontline..... and the stuff from walmart doesn't work..... I was thinking of attempting a bath for her.... but thought I'd get some opinions on what works best..... thanks....

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
When I've had to give a bath for fleas, I've found Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo to work very well, but that's only immediate relief for the animal... won't get rid of he fleas and eggs in your home. Wash her bedding (and yours) and toys in the washing machine, try some flea powder, and vaccuum everything, even couches. If you have tile/wood floors, mop with a bleach solution.

Thank goodness mine haven't had 'em since we got our first kitten... moved her into a pet free apartmen t, but the poeple above us with 8+ cats were more than happy to share their little bloodsuckers. :grump: It's not fun at all... nor, I jimagine, will bathing a 13 year old kitty be. :help:

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much.... The funny thing is we have no bites or signs of fleas..... the only way I knew she had them was that she quit sleeping in our room..... So I checked her yesterday, and there they were.....

I planned on vacuuming everything tooday anyhow..... and I just washed all the bedding yesterday.....

I will update when we get it done.... Hopefully I can get my hubby to help.....

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
With a cat that old, I would be very hesitant to use a flea killer on her. When you bathe her, simply get her damp, then rinse her with a solution of apple cider vinegar. The acid will make the fleas drop off. Fleas usually prefer the upper shoulder area, so if you just start with the neck and work down, you'll probably get them without getting her head wet.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yon get milder flea shampoos D'FLea isone it is safe for pregnant and nursing animals. Also there is a product line called Quadrapets which has a Yucca shampoo which kills fleas. You could see if you cna get your hands on one of these. I am not a fan of brands one can purchase in the supermarket have seen too many issues with them over 22 years of grooming.

·
Xander's Mom
584 Posts
Regular Dawn dish soap will get rid of fleas. It is very mild and safe to use on kittens and elderly cats. It has no residual effect (like a flea drop) but will kill any live fleas on the cat.

For getting rid of fleas around the house put a flea collar in your vacuum bag. That way the fleas you vacuum up will die. Wash all the pet bedding in hot water. Sweep food grade (not the pool filter kind) DE (diatomaceous earth) into your carpet, pet bedding, and floor cracks and crevices. Make sure to cover your nose and mouth while spreading it as you do not want to breath it in. It will kill the fleas.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
4th vote for dawn. But also, flea comb daily - dipping the comb in a solution of dawn and water. Treat the envirmonet at the same time with a spray from walmart that contains precor or nylar. It works for 6 months. Also vaccuum daily and dispose of the bag in sealed plastic or burn it. Cats are HELL to rid of fleas and keep flea free. Takes 2-3 months. If your cat will eat food with garlic- sprinkle a tiny bit on her food. My cats never would- but it works to keep my dogs free of fleas. The only time they get them now is if I forget to sprinkle for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts