my in-town homesteading plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 14, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

This is a great site. http://www.thecitychicken.com/

2. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun!
    But wood will rot out quick with the moisture it takes for happy worms.Might cover it with cheap plastic,then dump in your dirt..
    I to am stuck in the city.Worse yet I'm a country boy stuck in the city.I gotta get out of here soon.I finally said to heck with it and got myself a couple of hens this year.Figured if i had to hear the neighbors dogs bark all night,they could listen to (rednecks) chickens lay at 5;30 am. :D

As long as you don't get a rooster,i dought think any one would even notice or care.Its also usually legal in most small cities to have a few hens.(assuming most other fowl would be aright as well) But if they are visible to the neighbors things should appear neat,well made.(Other wise they can call building and codes to make you clean it up).I would like to cation you on one thing.If your yard isn't fenced.FENCE IT.There are more dogs running around here than there ever was in the country.City folks have no idea how to contain there dogs. :rolleyes: Id also put a run of electric fence wire around that and the chicken/quail/ducks.Once a dog sees your flock he will be very persistent to get to them.Best thing to break that persistence is electric shock. :D

Hope you like your ducks better than i liked mine.Well i loved the ducks i didnt love there mess.They need lots of water to be happy. Not much difference between them and pigs when there penned. :D

4. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

I only plan on two to four ducks. I have lots of pools to use, so I hope I can keep them happy. Does anyone see any problems with 25 or more bobwhites in a tractor in my yard? Thanks.

Tim

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I think you have some good ideas. If you are concerned about the neighbors, try to build something attractive and neat. I think there was an article with a cover picture in one of the Taunton magazinesa few years back, of a neat little backyard chicken, duck, compost, rabbit arrangement. This was a very elegant set-up. The ducks were let out for slug patrol while the owner was in the yard. The rest of the time they were in their pen. There were several trees in and around to provide shade and privacy.

Quail are very easy to keep and I cannot imagine how that would cause a problem with the neighbors. Bringing in the neighbors in for a viewing when there are chicks would go a long way to make for good relations. Free eggs for a couple dozen until you can sell some also helps.

Definitely fence. Make that your first priority. Grow sweetpeas or morning glories on the fence. Make it as tall as possible.

By careful planning, and very efficient spacing, you could do a lot on a small lot. Do your rabbits get enough light? I wish I were closer--I love doing layouts and organizing other people. I just can't seem to deal with my own messes!! :eek:

6. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member