My ideas for the goat area..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kittikity, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

The first pic is an arial photo of my 1.7 acres from a couple years ago before we bought it.. The L shaped area would be the fenced in area would be the grazing area.. The large square inside it in the top right corner would be the goat shed.. The smaller square coming off that would be the chicken pen area.. Then a little extra fence to seperate the two grazing areas.. The green squares to the left are going to be raised veggie beds since that side of the yard tends to get a little soggy in the rainy season.. The whole property slopes slightly from high on the right side to lowest on the left side.. The white thing in the bottom left corner is our house.. None of this is to scale.. I'll make it the size I want it as I build it..

http://www.kittikity.com/images/homeariel3.jpg

The second pic is of the goat shed.. For the doors I'm going to have double swinging doors.. I'm also going to have gates on the inside of each door that I can close without upstrucking the airflow..

http://www.kittikity.com/images/goatshed.jpg

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks great!! Only a few suggestions...have a couple of single stalls for goats that dont get along with the others at feed time or night time...some can be real bitches when they want to be. And a seperate area for kidding...if your going to be breeding. Are you going to be milking...an area for your milk stand. :)

3. Kittikity

4. RollingAcres

RollingAcres New Member

The updated plan looks much better than the first. It looks like you will be utilizing your shed area more effectively. Good luck!

5. I would put the hay racks on the inside wall and make them so they could be filled without having to enter the stall. This will save a lot of door opening and closing. Also, if you put doors on the back side of the nest boxes you could collect eggs without entering the coop.

6. Kittikity

That's a good idea about the hay racks.. Thanks.. The door on the back of the nest boxes was something I was planning already.. GMTA = )

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

That is much better Kittikity....good work. So when do you get your Goats?? :)

8. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Nice plans, one suggestion though if you can afford it enclose your milking room fully and add a window if possible. If you milk in open air the summer flys will drive your milker crazy while you milk, kicking over buckets and ruining your day...Otherwise the plans look great. John

9. Kittikity

Shazza, I'm not getting goats anytime soon.. We don't have any of our property fenced in.. I'm going to go back to work as a groomer part time so hopefully I'll be able to start purchasing fencing supplies soon.. But I want to have everything completely ready once I do take the plunge.. I just like to plan ahead as I bide my time.. Something to keep my mind occupied so I don't go stir crazy..

Thank you, John.. Great idea.. Not only because of the flies, but the cleanliness issue too..