My husband's doc is a quack!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by mpillow, Jan 11, 2007.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Finally...2 days later my husband is able to get the results of his xrays from Tues.

Its almost laughable what the nurse/receptionist reported....no broken bones (love handle region of his back hit falling down 3 steps on freshly polished steps 2 weeks ago) He's not missed any work because of it!

She said doc says it's degenerative arthritis! HELLO!!!!! :rolleyes:

My husband is fit to be tied....he said " Um hmm.. are you sure that you are talking to the right person on said xrays?"
    My husband is 41 yo...plays golf, cuts wood...and works selling - load and unload as well- plumbing and heating products...like furnaces and oil tanks... 6 days a week. 5'11'' and 160 pounds dressed!
    The woman is a little perturbed with husband ... husband wants to speak to the doc...and tell him what happened and that this is an injury not an ongoing "condition"...

My husband is hardly disabled material.... :nono:

2. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Could he have it and just not the symptoms yet? :shrug:

3. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I would ask to see the Dr. and have them show you the x-rays and explain in person.

4. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

He could possibly have the beginings of this disease, but if his pain started with this fall clearly there is some sort of injury as well. Definately speak to the doctor directly, but you may need to get a second opinion if this is the only diagnosis he can give.

5. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I'd ask for copies of the films and report and get a second opinion. Maybe even new films.

6. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I never heard of arthritis in your back region.
    Im a little confused. Is that where he's getting the pain from?

Im 40, and have arthritis in both knees. One is worse than the other. So having arthritis at that age is not so far fetched. My doctor did have me take 800 mg of Ibprofun every 4 hours and I did that for three years and it never helped.
    I stopped using it three months ago and I actually feel better because I get myself up and moving around.

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I came off a horse a few years ago and the emergency room docs said nothing was broken (as they gave me morphine for the pain). A week and a half later, when the pain wasn't quitting I went in for an MRI. I had dislocated and broken my shoulder (I knocked it back into the socket as I rolled out from under the horse) and 2 ribs and probably cracked my hip. Nice.

8. mpillow

The swelling and pain is right at the top of his left hip bone where his love handle is (he does have small ones!)

Its not a joint problem....it is from an injury....

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I have some pretty severe arthritis in my upper and lower back, it is degenerative I am told and I am pretty sure that is right as I am able to see the damage progress on MRI's

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

My dad has degenerative arthritis in his back. He isn't disabled either and he is now in his 70s. If I remember correctly it was first diagnosed in his late 40s or early 50s with a painful injury like you are describing - basically more pain than was warranted by the injury and broken bones were suspected. Don't immediately assume the doc is a quack. Go in for an appointment and hear him out.

11. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

We read degenerative joint disease in back x rays all the time. Very few people over 40 don't have some changes. It is like a car with 30,000 miles not showing wear on the tires. I make people come in for a visit to discuss abnormal x rays since the staff and patients get confused.

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well it shows up well enough on Xrays.The fall might have aggravated it.If he does have it,it might not bother him now but it will get worse with time. :shrug:

big rockpile

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

You can have arthritis in your back.

All of the older siblings in my husband's family have this. It develops spurs down the side of the back. The doctors say it was probably caused from heavy field work, picking cotton, at early ages - 7 and up.

My husband has had problems since he was a young man, under 30. It doesn't really bother him until he does something that 'sets it off'. Sometimes it can be something as simple as bending down the wrong way to pick up something very light. Once it was just bending sideways to grab the handle of a 1/2 bucket of feed. Put him in bed for 3 weeks.

One time it was being thrown from a horse. The bruise to his back healed long before the arthritis settled down.

Not saying you husband's doctor isn't wrong - but it could be the fall actually 'activated' the arthritis. I hope I am explaining that correctly.

My husband has just learned to live with it. When he was younger, he just did what he liked and suffered the consequences if it hurt. When he began to get older, he watches what he lifts. He still does plenty of lifting - but watches how he does it.

Years ago, they gave him pain medication. He didn't like that. They then said they should do surgery to scrape off the spurs, but they would eventually grow back. So he just takes aspirins when it gets bad and that is
    not often.

But you can have arthritis in your back.

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I have swelling just about where my Belt hits.Thats why I like wearing Bibs.

big rockpile

15. mpillow

His pain is not really in his back but in the obviously swollen spot....trust me its hot to the touch still! It just seems unrelated to the actual injury...

Couldnt they have said " your hip bone is intact at injury site but we did see the beginning of arthitis in the area from x-rays...probably a deep bruise at injury site but dont be suprised if you get athritis related aches and pains from now on..."

In the meantime another 2-3 appts to get it straightened all out so we'll meet the $2500 deductible....its shameful. He hasnt seen the digital pics yet but I bet he will before its over....

Doc you are obviously more professional than others....

16. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

??? Very, very common. Some arthritis is spurred on by injury, some is just discovered that way. There are many different kinds of arthritis too - some is genetic, some is autoimmune, some is progressive, some is degenerative, etc. Ankylosing spondylitis is one type of degenerative bone disease that you can have and not know it for a while - until it hurts too bad or causes you other problems that you can no longer ignore or blame on other simple issues like "overworking yourself". I have lots of arthritis throughout my body, especially major joints (foot, knees, hips, back, shoulders, etc.). For a long time I just thought I was burned-out and overdoing it. Then it got really bad and I started having worse and worse symptoms of varying types.

I agree with those that said to go hear out the doc but still think a 2nd opinion might be warranted.

17. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

My DH's uncle has arthritis in his spine. Poor guy worked on his farm his entire life, and now he can't even sit on the tractor. Of course, he IS in his late 80's.

I hope that doctor IS a quack!

18. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

A friend fell off his roof and landed on his feet. Went to the local rural hospital and they told him it was a sprain.
    Three weeks and much pain later, his wife decided to take him to the "city" hospital 30 miles away. He had multiple breaks and they told him he may not regain normal use even after surgery. He is making progress and has finally left the crutches behind, but isn't ready to do much physical stuff yet.
    If something doesn't make sense, seek another opinion and don't wait three weeks like my friend.
    Ann

19. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

people who do manual labor tend to get degenerative arthritis sooner then others but from what i gather everyone who ages gets it no matter what they do for a living

20. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

So I guess you are not making a fashion statement then :cool: