My husband put my seedlings on the porch and it got cold

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Quiver0f10, May 12, 2004.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I had started tomatoes, peppers and onions. They were doing great so hubby decided it was warm enough to go out on the porch :rolleyes: . Well, it has been 38-40 at night. Some did die but the others seem OK . Is it too late for the survivors if I bring them back in doors?

I am so upset because this is my first attempt at gardening :waa:

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Where there's life , there's hope...........

3. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Quiverof9

I lived in Mo. :waa: For over 10 years. One year we had a freak frost, a hard one. My tomatoes froze to the ground. It was late, I could not get anymore. Will they all came back, best and most I ever had. :D I would leave them where they are. Or if weather is ok, plant them, as soon as you can. Good luck,
    John#4

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

This is why gardeners always watch the weather reports religiously--so you know when to bring the plants back in, or cover them.
    (Sometimes you still get fooled.)
    mary

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Quiver - don't despair!!!! My DH was trying to help and did the same for me... Of 400 seedlings, I've lost over 300 from the first batch. Unfortunately, most of those were 'for sale' stock'. Those I didn't lose are straggly, but at least I know the things are HARDY!!! Soon as I realized they were hit as hard as they were, I started more of what I had seeds for.

Happens to everyone at least once, please don't give up!

Sue