My hunger strike doe is a proud momma!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MaggieJ, Sep 23, 2006.

1. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For those of you who were so helpful when my young doe, Tuppence was refusing to eat pellets, I thought I'd post a little update.

Tuppence kindled during the night, in the nestbox like a good girl, and cleaned everything up and tucked her babies under a blanket of fur like a pro. I just took a peek at them and there seem to be five or six - possibly more. Lively, good-sized kits. If she's as good a momma as her own mother, I will put up with her finicky eating. (Maybe I should call her Morris.)

2. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

That is wonderful! Congrats! I am glad everything turned out well :) I think the name change would be fitting :)

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats! I bet she's eating well now.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

She sure is! Not a pellet in sight this morning, so i gave her a second dish just in case.

Took a better look yesterday late afternoon, and i think the count is more like 7-8. Not much to look at yet but I think most of them are going to be pretty - white with black spots and streaks like their momma. Tuppence has big dark eyes and looks like she is wearing black mascara and eyeliner. She is looking pretty smug, now that the babies are here.

Thanks for sharing our relief and joy, Willowynd and Danaus29. We're doing the happy bunny dance today. :bouncy:

5. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

Oh that is some good news. I'm very glad that she is turning out to be a good mama.