Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The world spins poorly right now. Heck, I haven't been able to fall asleep before 3 AM in days. People I like in other forums are saying things that are VERY odd: nobody is certain what is really going on and so everybody has a theory and they are fighting seriously over those theories. One of my kids is excited over the stimulus check and my other child is having panic attacks over the phone. She lives in Nebraska so she cannot come over for a bit. And COVID marches on.

Yes, my homestead is calling and I must answer. At least on the homestead I can have more of an effect than saying "they will work things out".

Yep. My homestead is DEFINATELY calling. I have an unheated greenhouse, and I wonder if any of the cold hardy plants are even alive. I never did remove the grass on the North side greenhouse bed and it needs to be done. My home looks like I have not picked up in the last 2 days - I haven't- and there are dishes in the sink. I haven't seen the sun in 3 days and it is shining right now.

The TV can stay off for a bit, because the homestead is calling and I intend to answer. Whether I will be working outside until I get cold, or doing housework, the TV can stay OFF for a bit, as there is nothing that I can do about what is happening in the world right now.

And yelling at the TV is pointless.

Thankfully I have a homestead that can call me away from the world for a bit. And today I will answer it's call.

I have been eating a lot of chocolate lately, which is not good as I am a diabetic. I should have some healthier dessert makings around here somewhere: after I do the chickens and putter in the greenhouse perhaps I should make some better desserts. And I have a liitle leftover potroast what will be the start of a splendid meal for tonight. Perhaps this evening I will tune in to find out what happened today, but that will be after I have accomplished something useful on my homestead

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yes! If I didn't teach my DGD through virtual school every day, I would answer only to our homestead as well. Go, do, enjoy. Answer the call, the world will be here when you return. Peace to you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That caused me to think about how things are and how much being able to close the gate and ignore it all on the other side has such health benefits.

·
Super Moderator
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.....

It looks like the broccoli that I tried to cover is dying, but the kale next to it
looks great. I weeded for a bit and then came in for a break.

My 2 cats were VERY excited to go out with me, and they have remained outside. Miss kitty is crouched by the South side of the shed looking chilly but shows no sign of coming in: Lucas has run over to join her. It is in the low 30's and so I suspect they will not be out for too long, but neither wants to come in, yet..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
How did you do that? If it isn't at least 60 degrees the male part of my two cats goes in and out constantly and hollers every time he comes in because it's cold.

·
Super Moderator
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cats are frustrated about being in for the last few days. They found a warmish spot outside but both are inside now! I am inside for now as well, and working mostly in the kitchen. I intend to make a salad for tonight, and possibly a sugar-free dessert as well. if I feel like it

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My homestead forces me to get off my butt, and accomplish things...just yesterday, I brought up two FEL loads of firewood to the house, I burnt all of our household trash (except recyclable), I fixed a malfunctioning outlet in our bathroom, I cut, and fit a new workbench top (bowling alley 2" thick maple) in my shop, I sold a set of extra snowtires/wheels to a FB contact, We helped my daughter clean out her shed, I fixed dinner, then watched my Browns win against the Steelers...good day.

My wife also did all sorts of animal related things throughout the day, but started us off right with a really good breakfast, her first attempt at Eggs (Our own free range eggs) Benedict.

We make it a point of avoiding the AP news reports, they all seem to be leaning one way, and are all negative, for our own sanity, we try to get outside and do what is truly important on the homestead.

·
plains of Colorado
4,153 Posts
Too cold outside but I did finish a scrap quilt...probably to be given to someone. I call them homeless quilts.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
I finally got one seed starting flat seeded with perennial seeds and cleared the spot to put it in the shed. I hope to be able to sell some of the plants in the spring.

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
my garden can call all it wants right now. nobody's answering. i'm going around the house with heavy gym pants. a flannel shirt, a hoodie and 2 pairs wool socks and it's not even all that cold yet. all i'm doing today is stay in the warmth and gather together my Valentine's Day deco. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Time to start tomato and pepper plants here.

Reactions: wdcutrsdaughter

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
went to town to get some potting soil for seed starting. then thought of getting some new flats with the clear plastic lids. TSC had Burpee with peat pellets and/or peat pots with self watering feature, or some that had some kind of plastic pots in trays with self watering feature. These were pretty high priced in my mind. I fill the flat with soil. Make 8 short rows with a knife blade, plant the seed and cover. water and put lid on and set it in a warm place. I use a silver sharpie to number the rows and letters to ID the flats, then as I plant i write down the variety in each row. with flat letter.
Went by Dollar General on the way home and they had plain flats with the plastic cells that I sometimes use to start certain seeds for $5 each. Still high priced but I bought 2 new ones just in case.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Here it is really hard to find seed starting supplies in late fall/early winter. But covid happened. This year the seed starting supplies were on the shelves (in some stores) the same time the Christmas clearance sales started. Usually I get my seed starting supplies really cheap when they are clearanced out around Halloween, not last year. Since most stores get only one supply in spring and covid shutdowns happened around that time, everything was GONE by mid April! Even most seeds were sold out long before our last frost.

Fortunately the deep discount clearance prices in prior years had me well equipped for this year. Especially since I didn't really plant a garden last year.

·
newfieannie
9,498 Posts
i really miss my greenhouse. i had a large one when i lived in the country. my son built it from "found" windows. everything started deterioating when my husband passed and i left in 03.

i haven't had a proper greenhouse since. my second husband was just too stingy to let me plant on the terrace of the condo. still have my place in the country but just too far to bother going back and forth now to look after things. i only have small fruits there now.

my son is going to make a couple raised beds here on my lawn and i'm thinking of a small greenhouse. they do sell them around here already assembled i think which would be good for me. i have enough room for a small one next to the perennial bed if i moved a couple planters. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Too cold outside but I did finish a scrap quilt...probably to be given to someone. I call them homeless quilts.
I that because the QUILT doesn't have a home yet?

Mon

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
I woke up about 4 a.m. piddled with restarting the woodstoves, went down into the office, turned the light on, stood there for a minute then turned the light back off and went upstairs. Fed all of the animals about 5:30 and then went and cut brush around the timber line in low light until my wife came home around 8:30. I sat up on a hill in my utv as the sun rose and as Ilooked down the road waiting to see her car coming around a bend I just had a great appreciation for all of my blessings, and to be where I am in a world turning upside down. Inside our fences, everything stays upright and the gravity is always the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts