My herd is growing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Saturday I got a new doe. She is a purebred Nubian. Her previous owner had been sick and unable to really care for his herd for a while. She is thin and scruffy, but responding to good food and care. I am keeping her seperated from my herd until test results come back to make sure she is clean. She is bred and due the first part of May. She is a sweetie, but never named. She looks like a Clara to me, so Clara it is.

This brings the herd to 8, two of the bucklings go to the breeder, so we will have 3 does, 2 doelings, and 1 wether left, plus whatever we get from Clara.

Now to get the ground dried out a bit so we can put up fence and get them a bigger pasture!

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations. I am glad she found a GREAT home. :sing: I am sure she is in Heaven with you. Clara is a very lucky girl. How old is she? :banana02:

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

She is three. I think she will make a nice addition to the family. :) :dance:

Cheryl

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Herds do grow quick, that's for sure! Before you know it, you will be making some hard decisions about culling, or else putting up more fences! I had just a few goats two years ago, 2 does and a wether. Then I got 2 more does and 2 bucks. In two years, I had 23 goats! 3 went in the freezer, 1 is on it's way to follow them, I sold 3 does to a friend last week and that leaves me with 16. Of the 16, 4 are pregnant. 2 of my does just had triplets, all kids survived. I am to a point now where I still have too many and just can't seem to part with any of them! I do need to sell 1 of the bucks ( a Lamancha and his buddy wether). That will get me down to 14, with lot's of babies still on the way and a need to replace the LM buck with a new one from another breeder anyway! it's crazy!

Congrats on your new goaty!