My Goodness! that's a big drift!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Dec 5, 2005.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

The wind howled all night and I was pleased cause the wind generator was just working its little heart out. Got up this morning and DH got dressed to go out to the shop/ battery power room to build a fire as it is 11 degrees F. I opened the front door....and there it was....a snow drift just under 4 feet high with a perfect imprint of the front door in it! LOL. DH went out the other door to get to the shop. I went out just now to water and feed the hens and there is another huge drift just inside the chicken yard gate. I had to walk over/though it carrying the food and water, just kept on telling myself how blessed I am to be living on this mountain as I walked through snow that was up to my hips! Gonna have to do some snow blowing tomorrow. Wont get home till after dark tonight, it is the day of the big JOB INTERVIEW and i took my good clothes down yesterday and put them in the car so I could change from my snowmobiling clothes at the local truck stop LOL

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I think I prefer hurricanes! I wouldn't mind the drifts if the stuff wasn't so cold!

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

sounds like an awsome place to live. snow and cold are awsome. we had 8 foot drifts, and 4 feet of snow in the fields in 78

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Sisterpine: Thats quite a drift but let me tell you about the drift I had in 1982 in town. I was living at the time in an old storefront and there was an alley along one side of the building that opened into a sort of old loading yard behind my building and the neighbor and behind that was the railroad embankment. The front shop door was three steps above the sidewalk and the old curb there was about 18 inches higher than the street. In the alley, there was another door with a ramp for me. It started to snow the day before Christmas Eve and kept snowing until Christmas morning. Big wet snowflakes and wild winds for 2 days.
    Christmas morning we got up to a dazzling clear day that we could just manage to see out the front windows. The snow in the street was 3 feet deep and had drifted up against the front of the building about another 5 feet.We opened the front door and my roommate Stevie, could just barely see over the top of the drift. No way out that way. So we went to the side door in the sheltered alley and opened that door. Well the wind had been whipping down that alley from the railway and had made a drift that completely covered the door. Just a solid wall of snow met our eyes easily 8 feet tall and it blocked most of the tall old windows on that side of the building as well. Stevie managed to break out through the snow at the front of the building and shovel away enough of the drift in front so he could get in and out, but I was stuck for 4 days until we could get someone to come clear the alley. I did get out of the house Christmas night though. The storefront was right across the street from this big bar/disco where we both worked and
    there was a big double emergency exit door from the bar right opposite our front door. We borrowed one of those saucer sleds from a kid down the street and they put me on it just inside my front door and opened up the emergency door and Stvie gave me a shove. I went sailing down the drift clean across the street through the emergency door and kept right on going over the highly polished dance floor and came to a crashing stop against the DJ booth. Nothing like a spectacular entrance on a holiday night. :clap:

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'm jealous! I saw a few flakes this morning. I'm ready to get out the skis and snowshoes.

6. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when we lived on a mountain in West Virginia when I was 11. Got up one morning and snow was even with the bottom of the kitchen door, which was 4 feet above the ground. The house was jacked up while they dug out for a basement.
    Anyway, we had no plumbing so I had to haul water from the pump at the one room schoolhouse about 80 yards away. Looked like a giant white whale between the house and the school.
    Mom melted a lot of snow for water cause it took me 2 days to dig a trench to the pump and then had to walk sideways with a water bucket in each hand.
    Inside the drift me and my little brother dug out tunnels and rooms to play in till it all melted.
    We darn near froze that winter but man I loved livin on that mountain.

7. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

WOW,
    I get all excited when I get 6" drifts!!LOL
    I would just once love to see a REAL drift.
    Can you post a picture for us?

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

OK you just made me scratch Montana off places I want to move someday :p

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

What a great story foliomark! I was coming home from school in town and marveled at the way the drifts had grown and changed in just those few hours since my previous trip. It is like each day is a surprise because the entire landscape gets altered while i sleep. I figure if it is gonna be winter for the next 6 months we might as well get a bunch of snow to go with it. Would much rather have the snow than the cold. Though weather report says -25F or so for Wednesday morning.

10. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

when living in Northern Va. in the early 70 a storm hit us when it was over the snow drift were over the top of telephone poles My Grandpa told of having to shovel tunnels to the barn to tend to the livestock to make youall a little warmer remember when temp. got done 35-45 below zero and that wasn't al that meny years ago