Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was one of those things that is so ironic I figure God was involved.
The wife and I went out to dinner tonight. Afterward we’re driving through the county seat, and their spring bulk garbage day is tomorrow. We noticed a lady just setting 2 brand new kids bikes out to the curb, never been ridden, not even dirt on the tires. Cool! I stopped and threw them in the bed of the truck.
On the way home, my wife mentioned that the people renting our cottage this weekend have 2 small children they are bringing along. So we decided I’ll Check the air in the tires, then drop them off at the rental so the guests can use them.
After a quick air up of the tires, I put them back in the truck to drive up the street to the rental. One of the neighbors had just shown up at our house, and unbeknownst to me, laid his bike behind my truck. Well, my truck bent his rim in half, and ripped his training wheels clean off! I was thinking “You’v GOT to be kidding me!” Exact same size bike, and with training wheels, just like I just got out of the trash. The kid walked out my front door literally 30 seconds later. I told him I’ve got some good news and some bad. “I just ran over your bike, but I have a new one for you right here’”. He just said “OK”
It’s been a strange day.
E11B69B3-6D13-41B9-80A5-4311C5E16AF2.jpeg
41DDE443-F197-432D-B101-5E8D34EFB1D5.jpeg

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This was one of those things that is so ironic I figure God was involved.
The wife and I went out to dinner tonight. Afterward we’re driving through the county seat, and their spring bulk garbage day is tomorrow. We noticed a lady just setting 2 brand new kids bikes out to the curb, never been ridden, not even dirt on the tires. Cool! I stopped and threw them in the bed of the truck.
On the way home, my wife mentioned that the people renting our cottage this weekend have 2 small children they are bringing along. So we decided I’ll Check the air in the tires, then drop them off at the rental so the guests can use them.
After a quick air up of the tires, I put them back in the truck to drive up the street to the rental. One of the neighbors had just shown up at our house, and unbeknownst to me, laid his bike behind my truck. Well, my truck bent his rim in half, and ripped his training wheels clean off! I was thinking “You’v GOT to be kidding me!” Exact same size bike, and with training wheels, just like I just got out of the trash. The kid walked out my front door literally 30 seconds later. I told him I’ve got some good news and some bad. “I just ran over your bike, but I have a new one for you right here’”. He just said “OK”
It’s been a strange day.

The lesson View attachment 95143 View attachment 95144
The lesson here is always look in back of your Truck before backing up.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
One of my worst days was investigating an accident where a pickup had backed over a four-year-old. Crying now. Walk around your vehicle before driving off.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Yep, a good friend's dad owned a heating and cooling company. He installed a new system for a customer and he was sitting in his van (with it running) in the customer's driveway chatting away with him. After about 20 minutes he said he had to go and put the van in reverse and backed over the man's toddler who was on a tricycle. Killed him instantly.
He never, ever got over that day and I won't spend the time trying to describe his last 15 years before he died. As a footnote, the homeowner sued him for several million dollars.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
We began to make it a habit of backing our cars into the driveway when we lived in an kid active neighborhood.
We still do it. Most of the time.Our mailbox is on the other side of the road and when we first put it in (whoops) forgot it was there, at least it wasn't me that backed into it...

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I was just looking at stats for something else 2400 kids a year get hit in drive ways mostly people backing up.

be glad the kid wasn't with the bike

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Backed into a Mercedes....$$$$ later, I now drive a vehicle with a back up camera. :oops:

Reactions: 67drake
1 - 11 of 11 Posts