My goats were attacked by neighbor's pit bull

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sancraft, Jul 25, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Sunday, we brought the goats to my friend's house where we're staying. We saw the dog next door and started unclipping the goats leads from the truck before we took them out. The dog started walking in out direction. I started yelling at it to go home and blowing the home, yelling come get your dog. The dog kept coming. Danielle was in the back of the truck with the goats looking for the can of bug spray to spray in the dog's eyes. But the goats were getting antsy and moving around too much for her to get it.

Then the dog starts jumping on the side of the truck. I'm now trying to start the truck so I can drive off, hoping the dog would run in front of the truck so I could run it over or follow us to the main road and hopefully get run over. Just as I got the truck cranked up, the dog made it into the bed and started attacking. Danielle. let the tailgate down and goats went everywhere. But 2 where still clipped to the truck. Now we are screaming, come get your dog and I'm laying on the horn. Finally, afgter about 3 minutes, the guy shows up calling off his dog, who is paying him no attention. Then is let go of the one goat and starts after another.

He finally gets the dog under control and inside his garage. Now I have one screaming goat down and 4 screaming goats, disorientated and running in the street. (Thank goodness she lives at the end of a cul de sac). I finally get the goats back into the yard, 3 leads tied around my waist and carrying one badly limbing wether, bawling at the top of his lungs. As soon as the dog was caught I told Danielle to cal 911. The policeman comes out and rights the man a ticket for dog at large and says Animal Control will come later. They never did, but I will keep after them. The guy comes over and apologizes. But when I asked him about vet fees for my 2 injured goats and the scratches all over my friends truck, he looks at me as if I suddenly sprouted 2 heads and started speaking Greek.

Daisy, who got the brunt of the attack, is still a little shocky today. Lucky, is limbing pretty badly, but okay. I will take them to the vet this afternoon. I asked the guy for proof of vaccination on his dog which he said he had, but he still hasn't provided it. Oh well, more for him to have to pay for I guess. I hate irresponible pet owners. He said he had let the dog out to use relieve itself and play a little while. "Yeah, he decided to play kill the goats", I said.

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about what happened . I hope your babies will be ok. [​IMG] Pits can be scary dogs when not controlled. Our neighbor with 4 pit bulls that Hunt the fence line between us tells me his guys are "just playing." I found a hole they were digging under the fence that is " just getting cool in the fresh dirt" . I don't know what I can do until it is too late. I have 3 strands of hotwire on a new hog wire fence. HIs dogs are contained in his yard so like I said until something happens ( too late ) I can't do anything

3. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

Sorry about the goats. A shotgun always works on a pit bull, as well as other dogs w/ irresponsible owners.

4. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Please keep after animal control. The man is responsible for the vet bills since he allowed his dog to run free against the law of the town but you will find animal control sometimes is lax in following up on things. I was but by a dog and it had not had it's rabies shots in 3 years and I had a heck of a time getting animal control to follow through on making sure the dog was OK.

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I swear by these Livestock Guardian Dogs. Had you had one.. the dog would have never made it close enough! You might have had to take your dog to the vet but it would have given you enough time to get your bug spray!

The really scary part.. it could have been you!

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Immediately write everything down on paper, in your own words. Have Danielle do the same. Also immediately take pictures of the goats, the truck, and even the area where it happened if you can. You might find these very helpful in small claims court, (or even criminal court if it has to go that far. I hope it doesn't.)
    Unless you and the dog owner can come to some sort of monetary agreement within the next 24 hours, then start the small claims process immediately. DON'T WAIT!

Irresponsibile pet owners are typically irresponsibile citizens. This probably won't be the last time that dog owner has a problem with his so-called pet.

Westbrook is very correct: It could have been you or Danielle.

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Qwispea is right. Also you will need proof the animals are injured so you will need to incur a vet bill.

Document, document and photograph! write down everything you remember, including time and dates.. and not to exclude the phone call and who came out and who didn't!

did you get any injuries? burises? scrapes or scratches? photograph them too!

you are building a case.

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh, can anything else happen to y'all? You've had one thing after another. Keep your chin up, it HAS to get better soon! I'm so glad that dog didn't kill any of your goats and that you and Danielle are safe. Pit bulls running loose scare the heck out of me. I have heard so many people say that they are just sweet loving family pets, but when you hear about a dog attack and someone getting injuried or killed, it's usually not the Golden Retriever next door, but a pit bull or similar. Like the others said, document everything, and keep after the animal control people! Make them do their JOB!!!! Hope the vet gave your goats a clean bill of health, no permanent damage?

9. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

It has been two years since my livestock was attacked the 'first time'....it got thrown out of court and I never got one cent paid to me for the vet bills and the losses.

I wish you luck. I hope that the goats are not too badly injured?

As to killing the dogs....I got threatened with three years in prison and a felony if I killed a dog! This is with them after my livestock too!

If you must kill a dog, remember the rules of the 3 S's....Shoot, shovel and shutup.

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

The policeman said that since we are outside of the city limits, I could shoot the dog if it came back on the property again. I don't have a gun yet. It's the next thing on my list to buy. I'm really worried about that dog.

11. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

OMG Sancraft I am so sorry! I HATE dog attacks with a vengance :grit: .

I am glad that you didn't loose any of your goats though. I am prayin that you get that dog and that all your goaties stay safe and okay :eek: .

MotherClucker

12. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

[​IMG]

I just hate it when neighbors let their dogs run all over the neighborhood. Just because they want a dog doesn't mean everybody else wants that dog running around on their property. We have a neighbor that has 4 big dogs that he never gives heart worm preventative or treat for fleas or worms or anything. They finally learned not to come up here because I started shooting them in the butt with rat shot. And when they come on your property and attack your pet and kids, that's just not right. We have a female Rottweiler and she is inside our fenced in yard and that's where she stays. I don't expect others to put up with her. Responsible pet ownership doesn't mean letting them run loose even for a little while if they don't stay in your yard.

13. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I hope your babies are going to be ok. I hate irresponsible dog owners. Every owner knows how their dog behaves and "I didn't know it would attack" is a bunch of bull. I have dogs. They are beautiful husky/malamute mix. They are so sweet to the family. Want to sit in our laps, always kissing our faces, absolutely adorable and sweet. Would they kill another animal?...absolutely. That is why my dogs are penned up. They have a very large area to run and play, with no way to escape except with our own oversights (like not shutting the gate properly) I don't even allow them near my own livestock. I don't think they would hurt our animals as they are used to seeing them and the goats are always at their fence exchanging kisses etc.. But I do know that they would not tolerate anyone or anything on our property that did not belong. Would they leave my property? probably, that is why they are penned up.

Take pictures, notes and keep every single receipt. Also write the dog owner a certified letter outlining the expenses incurred and giving him 10 days to make restitution or satisfactory arrangements. If you make arrangements, put it in writing, signed and notarized or witnessed at the very least. Also, make sure the police made a written report. Sometimes they don't....if that is the case, insist they write a report. Don't let him get away with this, the next time it could be a child.

14. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this happenned. Thank goodness you and Danielle are fine. I hope the goats will be.

My FIL had the same thing happen. 2 pittbulls running loose got into his barn and killed 8 hens. I don't think Pittbulls are to blame. It is the owners that let them run the streets unattended. He called the police and their were other complaints about the same 2 dogs chasing children into their houses and laying outside the door so they couldn't come back out.

The owners were told to either keep the dogs fenced or tied or get rid of them. If they didn't comply they would be fined or face jail time. They fenced them for awhile and then moved. I hate to think this might be someone elses problem now!

15. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

So very sorry about your goats. Hope they are better soon.
    I dont trust pits at all. When we moved here several years ago, there was a resident young pit. Dont know where he came from or why he was here. He was good with the kids, and seemed to just fit in with us. So, we just left him here, and he became one of the family.
    He got into the habit of "helping" us with the pigs, when they got out, he would bring them back.
    Then, one day he lost it. Tore up every pen we had. There was mass slaughter, chickens, rabbits, piglets dead everywhere. And, I was here when it happened. he was fast. Needless to say he and I had a chat with the shotgun..... could have been my kids. Now, I dont tolerate any strays. If it wonders up and wont **** off, I shoot it. No two ways.
    Hurry up and get to the pawn shop and get the gun, a good shovel, and pick out the burial ground.... behind the garden in the south 20 works for me....
    Good luck and hope this turns out well.

16. jodip

jodip New Member

Last December we had a friend staying with us. He had a really sweet rottweiler who had never been aggressive with anyone/anything. We had also found a stray basset/beagle mix who was with us a few weeks. Separately neither of these dogs looked sideways at my goats. Together they killed a wonderful wether that we had. The wether protected the other goats (his sister and 2 juniors), but could not handle the 2 dogs together. Of course, as all things happen on a farm, I was alone and had just had eye surgery that very day. I heard awful screaming and ran out in the dark. I couldn't see anything except the shadow of the rott. I hit him in the head with my flashlight and was calling for the wether when my husband got home. Had I had a gun, I would have done them both in. The friend took his dog off that night to stay elsewhere. I called animal control in the morning to get the stray. They told me I should have not buried my goat so they could take pictures and have evidance against the dogs owners--if they found them. I told them I wasn't about to let my children see the poor mutiliated goat.
    My advice take pictures and keep track of everything (even phone calls or contacts with neighbor) .
    Glad your goats made it. I actually bought a BB gun for the next stray that comes around.

17. goatee

goatee Active Member

Instead of bug spray try lead spray from a shotgun.12 gauge DOUBLE OO works the best,sprayed right into the face.3 squirts should render them helpless forever and a day.

18. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I have shot strays before, and will do it again when necessary, but it truely breaks my heart everytime I do it. My dog and I are together everyday. He goes everywhere with me. Even to work. I know how much he means to me, and how much it would hurt if he were shot chasing someones livestock. But like I said, I have done it, and will again if it needs be and I would expect others to do the same. I just feel bad when it comes to that.

I always try to capture the dog or chase it off before it gets to chasing the animals. When it doesn't work, that's when the gun comes out.

I actually had animal controll pay me $5 per hen one time when a stray got into the pen. I shot him, and called them to come get him. They did, and asked me to submit a list of the damage he did. Few weeks later, a check from the town for $5 for each hen killed.

19. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Think about getting a gun sooner. I think you can get a 22 at kmart / walmart for under 150.00. You wont be killing anything to big but at least you can injure it. Maybe a pellet or even bb gun they would be cheaper. My kids also have the paintball guns , they leave a nasty welt when at closer range.

20. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Hoping everybodies okay here, too.