Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my goat is about 6 months old and she is quite small. She got her leg stuck in some string like wire, it was not metal. We had to cut it off and she started to limp a bit. We figured it was a minor sprain, but a few days later she wouldn’t put any weight on it. There was a small area on her leg that has puss on it, so we figured there is an abscess. Her leg is twice the size of her other one. There are no livestock vets anywhere close to us, so we went to tractor supply and asked someone there what we should do. They said give her 1 cc of penicillin for 5 days intramuscular and keep the wound clean. So we did and it is day four and we are seeing no results. She is still eating and acting fine but her leg is still extremely swollen and we do not know what to do. Someone please help!!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
43,315 Posts
How much does she weigh? Penicillin is 3 cc per 50 pounds. She has likely been underdosed, or it is not the correct antibiotic for that germ.

Biomycin is a different antibiotic that may be more effective.

LA 200 is available, but she will holler, as it stings. 3.5 cc per 100 pounds.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Here are some things to consider, off the top of my head and in no particular order:
What is her temp? 101.5-103.5 is normal
Is she up to date on her CD&T vaccinations? Even if she is, do you have Tetanus Anti Toxin (not toxoid) you can give her?
Can you shave the area of the leg that was injured so you have a good clear view of what's going on? I've found sometimes I've missed spotting a wound site, when there are more than one.
If you can see all the wound sites - can you wash well with an iodine solution several times a day and treat with antibiotic ointment?
Is the leg hot to the touch anywhere, or cold (indicating loss of blood flow)?
As Alice asked -- how much does she weigh - possibly not a big enough antibiotic dose.
Can you give B complex shot ( 1 cc per 25 lb) 2x/day for at least 3 days
Can you give Banamine: 1 cc per 100 lb, 1x for 3 days to help with inflammation?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts