Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we got two little kiko doelings about two weeks ago now... and they just have not calmed down/accepted us at All. The first time we let them out they got out and chased by stupid beagles, so we've been tying one of them up in the pasture so they stick around... but yesterday we let them both go (in the pasture), and they wouldn't come in at night for their grain :( Nor could we come even close to catching them...

So... does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these two little goats to like us? Any kind of treat that they'll really, really like? More than grain?? I'm just so dissapointed. I thought they would be like friendly and inquisitive and we could go out and pet them and brush them... but they're just not:( They're just wild and jumpy and like scared of us still :(

·
Kathy
880 Posts
Well that is why most want bottle babies and when some are dam raise they tend to be wild. I personally would pen them up and take some more time and sit with them in their pen and when they get curious slowly extend your hand. It takes time and patience to get them to trust you. Most Kiko are skittish anyway unless bottle fed. Good luck and take your time.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would suggest getting them in a small pen to where they are easy to grab pet them then give them a treat mine like a slice of an apple or animal crackers. By doing this they can't get away and you just showed that you are not the enemy but a friend. If anything else they will consider you the food person and gladly start coming for their treat. I have tamed a few wild goats and this is what I do. Also I have sat in the pen and just talked softly to them that calms them down they think you sound like a nice person to them when you talk soft.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Chaty gave you some go ideas while your talking to them you can do this. Having time that they are not being caught allows them to study you at their own pace and not forcing it on them. I would catch them and give them a treat about twice a day then just sit in the pen the rest of the time and talk to them.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I agree, small pen w/ hay and water and minerals, and then just sit in the corner for at least 30 min. per day.

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Two of my goats love saltine crackers or alfalfa pellets. Some goats like raisins too.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Grabbing should be avoided....chasing is even worse. Let them come to you. I think the idea of putting them in a smaller pen is a good idea...or they are just going to keep running from you. Right now they don't trust you enough...but they will start to when they realize you have treats for them and that if they do come near you are only going to scratch them. Don't pet them on the head...they don't like that. Scratch them on the back and armpits area. Animal crackers, frosted mini wheats, raisins are good treats. Sit with them quietly and let them come to your held out hand. It's not they don't like you....they are just scared right now with all the new things and they are unsure of what your going to do to them if you "catch" them. Once they get more comfortable then you can start messing with them more and brushing and hugging and kissing and all that good stuff :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Never ever grab. You are perceived as a predator.
I have tamed all my wild ones by grabbing them quickly in a small area when they weren't expecting it and then just hanging out with them and loving on them. I think they key is they can't feel like you are chasing them and they can't have time to get scared for more than a moment. obviously this only works if they are in a small area and after they have become accustomed to you "doing stuff" in the area. if they start bouncing off the walls when you go in then they are not ready for you to catch them. after they stop doing that start purposely walking near them and immediatly walking away while appearing to ignore them. they need to think that you have no interest in them and you are just doing what you do. when that is normal then you can start non chalantly grabbing them as you pass by. This year I bought a 5 month old baby. was told that it was the wildest of the bunch and he couldn't get near it. 2 weeks later the breeder came by and the goat walked up to me while he was standing there and I started scratching it. he was amazed. I told him he just didn't love his goats enough and they could tell:shrug::p

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks DQ what your saying is what I have been meaning. Chasing is not good but grabbing is okay. I had one tamed and lovable in 3 days that way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, OK I can tell that we really screwed up then :( Because right now, they're loose in a 2.5 acre pasture :( And aren't even coming to our barn for water/hay/grain/minerals :( So, its going to take a certain amount of chasing/catching/grabbing just to get them back into our barn... then maybe we'll leave them locked in there for a week or so just feeding them hay/minerals/water/grain and going out and sitting with them and feeding them treats and such... but first we have to catch them again and get them back in there! And thats going to be quite a challenge!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got a few kids from someone else a few years ago. Not friendly at all but it can be changed in many cases. What DQ said works and so putting feed in your hand and sit, allow them to come get it. Continue this and with a little patience they will most likely come around.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
I have a little ND wether that was only handled to burn his head (3 times), vaccinate, and castrate him so you could say he was a little more than wild.
I cornered and caught him whenever I had at least 15 or so minutes to spend with him on my lap rubbing, and scratching him. It wasn't long and he'd start coming up to me cautiously and so he started getting little horse treat pellets (Manna Pro). He's all over me like stink on a buck now, loves being petted and while I still have to 'catch' him to get ahold of him, he loves being held and petted....I can tell by his sighs and half-closed eyes. What I didn't do was chase, I slowly cornered him and very slowly caught him, and sometimes had to grab. Be patient, they'll come around!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am so sorry but when I sat down and saw the title of this thread I just cracked up! We've all been there once, twice...maybe even three times! I do hope they warm up to you. Have patience. It does take time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I have good news to report! Shortly after my last post I went out and got one of them to eat out of my hand, and then eventually both of them to eat out of a bucket of grain... Still didn't succede in catching them, but at least they came up to me and ate out of my hand! So, that made me feel a LOT better. Hoping they do come around...

We're looking at another little doeling (purebread), whose (supposedly) fairly used to being handled/petted/fed... Assuming thats all true, what do you all think... would she be helpful in 'taming' these two? Or would she just go wild with them??? Are we absolutely NUTS for considering getting a third when we can't catch the two we have now?!?! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts