My goats are drivung me CRAZY

Discussion in 'Goats' started by smilinpossum, Sep 22, 2005.

1. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

I have two brush goats, a male( year) and a female (4 years).

For some reason, the last several months, they stand at the fence whenever my hubby & I go in the yard/to the car, etc., and just bah/neigh loudly and repeatedly.
    It's like they're starving or something, which they are definitely not.

They have a 2 acre field, with green stuff up to their stomachs & over their heads.
    They have water.
    They get pelleted feed 2-3 times a week.
    They have a salt block.

They didn't USED to do this....and it's so annoying, I'm thinking of getting rid of them.
    Oh, if we go over there & pay attention to them, or give them a treat, they'll stop.
    But just momentarily.

Any ideas?

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

are you spending time with them besides at feeding? They may be lacking human companionship..

3. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

No, I don't spend time with them., not more...not less.
    Never did, they're there for weed eating purposes, not pets

I feed them, give them water, clean the shed.
    That's why i got the 2 of them, so's they could keep each other company.
    Cows don't come looking for company.....
    We had this overgrown field we want to eventually make a pasture out of, and some people said goats would be good to clear the field.
    Riiiight.
    They ate the tree leaves they could reach, and ignore they overgrown weeds & grass.

4. pcdreams

hmm. I don't mean to sound harsh but it sounds to me like you need to do a bit of research on your animals. Never a good idea to buy into something before you know a bit about it.

That said My advice is for you to give/sell the goats to a home that will make sure they are cared for properly. Or take the time and responsibility to do so yourself.

You have found a wonderful place to find information,

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Brush control. That's the reason I got goats. We were so overgrown that you couldn't see the barn and coop from the house. Well, they are it down, after ex DH cut if all down with a bush ax, piled it up and burned it. He said they liked brush just fine, once it was barbequed. :bash: I have discovered one thing about goats... They never do what you want them to do. My daughter says the difference between a goat and a cow is a cow knows it is stupid and has no problem with it. But goats are stupid, but think they are smart and that's where the problems begin. Good thing for my bad goats that I feel in love with them. Good luck with yours.

6. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

"That said My advice is for you to give/sell the goats to a home that will make sure they are cared for properly. Or take the time and responsibility to do so yourself."
    I'm sorry, but I take issue with this statement.
    How am I not "caring for them properly"?????
    By not treating them like lap dogs?

They are feed good goat food, get water, have a nice new shed.....
    They get hay in winter, and straw in the house when it's cold.

So, how am I "mistreating" them?? :shrug:

7. pcdreams

Its obvious that you have very limited knowledge about goats (or any other farm animals for that matter), and from your previous post it seems you don't really have any interest in learning.

I'm not saying your not caring for the animals, I'm saying there are probally other things you should be doing that you may not be aware of, thus why they are crying. Its not simply a matter of feed, water,clean with any animal.

8. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

OK Pcdreams...I really don't want to, and will not argue the point with you.

I have chickens....(I've had horses until 1990)....and currently have 4 dogs & 2 cats.

I don't think the farmer who raises chickens, or pigs or cows for production cares one diddly whether he's giving them "enough attention/huggie time".
    He only cares that they're healthy, and do the job they're supposed to.
    (making milk, eggs,or putting on weight for the slaughterhouse)

These goats are NOT pets...they are service animals.(like dairy cows or steers)
    I never intended for them to be pets.

Now, my dogs?
    My cats?
    Those are my sweeties.

I'm sorry, i intended to get ideas on what is wrong, not "you need to hug them more".

THAT'S why I came here.

9. pcdreams

Sorry I wasted your time :grit:

what I THOUGHT I was trying to convey was perhaps they needed nails cut, or something of that nature.

10. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

two goats will not be able to clear a whole pasture like that. with so much to choose from they will only eat what they like. You can probably find a large herd somewhere which you could pay to keep over here, or if the owners is looking for a temporary place for his herd he could even pay you to house them.
    goats also need baking soda, regular hoof trimmings, wormings, and shots.
    just trying to help!!
    ~Dona

11. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

Baking soda???

What for?

I didn't think I needed to mention hoof trimmings.
    That's like shoing a horse, something that if you have a horse, you *need* to do.
    I knew about that.

12. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Baking soda...goats get gassy basically. Mineral blocks are a good idea too.

Ruth

13. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Unlike the above goats are more people animals. Even with my large herd they still love a pat or two.

To me it seems they are fed up with being left alone. Now if you got some goats that where wilder than heck and you NEVER touched them. You wouldn't have this problem. But like many people comment goats are like dogs. Lol they LOVE attention and will beg for it.

And smilinpossum you would be very suprised at how many people DON'T know that they have to trim hooves or what not. Or even worm and stuff. So we try to make sure they are doing that and know that it does need to be done.

If I was you if you don't want them baaing at you just ignore them and never give them treats or anything. You are teaching them that if they baaa they get treats and get pet. If you really only want them for brush just ignore them and only handle them when need be.

Hope I didn't offend anyone here :cowboy: .

MotherClucker

14. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You joking, we always say that the problem with goats is that they are too smart and so when you want them to do something just say no. To each is own, ares really are smart though, very sweet animals.

15. Goat Freak

You might have a point, mineALWAYS tell me whrn they are having hoof problems, they do not cry though because they know that if they walk funny or don't get up I will know what is wronge and take care of them.

16. smilinpossum

smilinpossum Member

They were wilder goats...the guy had a heck of a time catching them.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is this:

They won't eat the stuff that's in the field, they only want tree leaves or such.
    They'll stand at the fence and LOUDLY complain.

Even 30 minutes after we feed them goat feed, they complain. :viking:

Meanwhile, they're standing belly deep, and some over their heads in green growing stuff WHICH...if we pull it and hand it to them, most times they'll eat it.
    But graze on thier own???
    Nah. Not in the last few months.
    Their teeth are fine, they have no trouble eating carrots or apples.

I didn't buy these guys as pets, i bought (last year in May) them to help keep down the brush.
    WHICH they did....until this past July or thereabouts.
    Then they turned into continuoos whiners.

17. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

smilinpossum - even though my approach is so very different than yours, I must agree that you are NOT abusing them by not giving them attention.
    It sounds as if all their basic needs are met.
    Although from what you said, I think it may be possible that you have trained them to act this way. They scream, you walk over to pet them, they stop. Do they start yelling again before you even stop giving attention?
    I agree that you need to get LOTS more goats to get that brush cleaned out, and that it would be better to find someone who would agree to put their goats on your place - then the care for them can be THEIR responsibility.

My goats are pets. All 30 of them. LOL. My children can tell who is crying just by hearing the voice - they know all 30 different voices - how's that for amazing? We also have 2 cats that are pets and 6 chickens that are not pets. :)

Rachel

18. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Hi Smilinpossum

You should have gotten a brush mower! Lower maintenace and you can put it in the shed when you don't need it. It is also alot less picky about what it will "eat". Only noisy while in use.

My goats want attention, too. In your case, since giving them a pat seems to work and doesn't make them louder, I would just do it - and consider it part of "maintenance" like checking the oil.

Goats can't seem to help it - when they were bred into domestication they seemed to acquire a yen for human contact. You don't want them for pets ... but it is still something they crave. They just aren't brush mowers anymore!

19. Goat Freak

I can tell which goat is which as well, it is very easy after you REALLY get to know them aka spending hours at a time with them. Gotta love the goats. :p

20. Goat Freak

Sorry, I wpuld just like to point out that goats prefer trees and bushs to grass anyday, they also seem to enjoy weeds but not grass.