Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens do not like my goats; I have had them for about 2 months now( the goats) and if I don't leave them in the coop or put them in before it starts getting dark they roost in the trees instead of in the coop. I thought that they just had to get used to each other; but this is getting old real fast, I am not wanting to lose anymore and I was able to get 7 of the 12 back in the coop, it took a lot of work and what not to get them in. We have possums and other animals that wouldn't think twice about trying to get to the chickens in the trees at night if they ever found out they were there. I like letting my chickens roam; but if this keeps up I won't be able to. Any thoughts? For now I have been kicking the goats out during the day so that the chickens can have the garden back during the day and the goats only go in there at night. I am working on a shed/barn to put the goats into at night and lock them up; I am sort of worried that this in now habit and I am going to have to retrain the birds or cut all the trees down around the garden so they can't roost in them. Any thoughts?

G

·
That's strange. My chickens never saw a goat until a few short months ago and they aren't bothered a bit. They even eat out of her food pan with her, scratch around her, dust bathe next to her, and hop up on her back.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd keep chicks away from goat's feed dishes as they'll poop there, also in the hay, etc. wasting good feed as goats won't touch it anymore. I made a slat feeder for goats accessible from the yard and had to use chicken wire to prevent chickens from going there for that reason.

You'd have more luck adjusting goats to a new home then chickens. Some of my chickens sorta went feral after switching them to a different coop and I got so tired of catching them every evening that finally I locked them in for a week and then sold off the ones that still would not go back to the coop for the night after that. I still have one crazy hen that won't let me get close enough to catch her - even at night - but I figure that's what keeps her safe out in the yard at night.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Many chickens will roost in trees given half a chance. I know that most of mine would prefer that! We let ours roam during the day and do not provide any feed until it is time to go in their coop. Even though they graze all day they still act like they are starving when the feed bucket comes, then they are happy to go in the coop to eat.
Have any of your predator problems happened while they were in the coop? Sometimes birds will not go back into a coop where they have been under attack.

Jeanette
Hondo, TX

Always Learning!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts