My goat wont eat!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Muscovyluv2005, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Muscovyluv2005

Muscovyluv2005 Well-Known Member

Okay,I have a young female Boer goat (I believe),I also have ducks and chickends,well my ducks free range and I usually let my goat out to "browse" and she likes it alot but a few weeks ago one of my roosters got in a fight and so I decieded while he was healing up he could stay in my cage with my goat,well of couse I had to feed the chicken,but when I fed my chicken my goat decided she was gonna stop eating her own food cause I guess she likes the chicken food,I figured it would just pass or whatever but now she REFUSES to eat her own food! She goes into my ducks pen and eats there food.Ive tried locking her up and not letting her out of her cage with just HER food but she still wont eat it,she will nibble at it for a minute then she just walks off in discust!Should I maybe change the brand of food im feeding her?(purina goat chow)
    Another thing is,"Goatsi Woatsi" was givin to me,so she is my only goat,Now I know goats are herd animals but im with her all the time and she always has her ducks and chickens to be with so shes never lonley.I want to get another goat but she is so friendly, like she will cry if she dosent see me,one time she even chased my car down the road!If I get another goat will she bond to the other goat and not be as friendly,should I get a male or a female?
    thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

how cute is that. if you are always with your goat i think you are her herd.what do you feed your ducks and chickens? if you let your poultry out and they have acsess to greens and bugs and so on you could feed them a balanced grain feed with no animal byproduct and of course non-medicated. the only thing then is to watch your goat that she doesn't over eat. do you have a chicken house? if you feed the chicken inside before they go out would help too.
    i belive to get another goat will not change her behavior. i have two girls that are affectionate as yours are. they would go in my bed with me if i would alowe it :rolleyes:
    i got a little buck for them and they kicked him around for a coupple of days. now they are getting along well. :)
    susanne

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well your goat will probably get sick eating your duck feed but like was said before if you mix your own food then everyone can eat it.
    My chickens only eat goat feed. This is what I mix.
    100 lb whole oats
    100lb rolled barley
    25lb cracked corn
    10 lb calf mana or animax (animax is less exspensive) this is high protein
    20lb beet pulp
    free choice milk cow or goat minerals (loose)
    free choice alfalfa pellets and grass hay.
    I feed 1lb of the grain mix to my milkers or 3 full cups my dry does only get the grain mix once in a while for a treat. I toss out a scoop of grain to the chickens when I feed the goats but no food is left out for them otherwise.

4. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

My mix is almost similar, although I add some Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
    The goats love it and the chickens have some too. Like Sondra, I put enough out in the morning for the chickens and the rest of the day, free range bugs and the like and at dinner time they get potato or carrot peelings. As we know goats, if it's there - they will eat it !!!

I noticed your id - apparently you have Muscovies ? What a treat they are. I had 5 hens and 1 drake a couple years back and loved to see them fly past my windows. During the summer molt the yard would look like someone had a huge pillow fight with all the feathers everywhere. Then on the rainy days, they would go to my neighbors and puddle about in their fields. Alas, one morning I found my drake had been killed (we think by fox or weasel). I think three of the hens flew off down the road and joined their family of ducks as we did not find them anywhere on the property. I did collect all their eggs as they were nesting at the time and hatched 18 and ended up selling them. I would get more, but am hesitant as it didn't seem I could get them trained to go in at night where they would be secure. Is there a trick to getting ducks to go in at night ??? All mine wanted to do was hang around the lights for the moths and obviously the mosquitoes. It was great having them around - I found them excellent control of the ground spiders we have so prevalent in our area of Michigan.

5. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

I have Muscovies too. I have had no problem training mine to sleep in the hen house by simply keeping them shut up in it for about a week. Then you have to turn off the lights. Mine will stay on the porch if I leave the light on, but as soon as I turn it out they waddle right back to the hen house.

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Oh goodness yep I use 25obs of BOSS in my mix
    sorry I forgot that thanks for the reminder, Trish

7. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Great advice - thank you. Next spring I am going to re-do my coop area to utilize the space better. Guess I better get more lumber, nails and sharpen up my hammer to make a space dedicated for the ducks ! :haha: My husband just never knows what I will come home with, but I know he would be delighted if I came home with more Muscovies because he knows how much I enjoyed having them around. Chickens are great, but the ducks were a pleasure to watch and such beautiful birds. People tend to think ducks are more messy, but then you should see what some of my chickens do on the driveway and walkways. Besides, that is all part of the country life right?

Thank you again, I am sure going to look forward to ordering Muscovies in the spring.

8. Muscovyluv2005

Muscovyluv2005 Well-Known Member

I own a few muscovies,auctually 5 but my female has just started laying! Im so excited,this will be my first batch of eggs for me to have (lol besides what I get from the store,and the few my chicken lays around) But yea im pretty excideted,There due early Jan!
    To get my birds in there coop at night(they freerage during the day) I feed them every evening around the same time and I ONLY feed them in there coop,therefor in the evening when I go outside I shake my food pan and they come runnin lol! Ive just kept to this routine,and sure enough there in there coop everynigh!Hope this helps ya!

9. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem, my chickens eat my goats food. They get very similar mixes anyway. The only difference is I put complete horse in the goat mix. The buck(Lewis) does get a bit preturbed with the Roosters, but he has a hen friend that he will allow to eat from his bowl with him. The other day, the roosters just wouldn't leave him alone and I turned my back for a second and I saw a Rooster go flying by - he was airborne, but not without some help from Lewis.