My goat is driving me nuts!!! Labor questions...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Jan 13, 2007.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

My nubian is pregnant.. I thought she was bred on Sept. 15, but I think I must have been mistaken. 2 days ago, I noticed that her udder was bigger, not huge or tight, but definitely bigger. About a week ago, I am almost sure that she lost her plug. Okay, now 3 days ago, I looked at her and she looked so uncomfortable, kind of humped, etc. and I thought for sure that she would have them. The next day she is fine! Yesterday, she would lie down and make these grunting noises and keep shifting herself with her back leg, etc. so I am thinking, okay this is it, right? Wrong! Last night she was just fine, eating, etc. Is there any way to tell if she is getting close? I really want to be there when she has these babies. Thanks.

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

have you checked her ligaments--put your thumb on one side of her spine and your first finger on the other side and press and slide along the end of her back toward her tail. You gotta kinda squeeze, too. Someone once said it feels liks two pencils alongside there-hard and straight. When she is 12-24 hours away those ligaments soften and cannot hardly be felt.

It worked for me last year--within 6 hours of the ligaments disappearing our doe went into hard labor and out popped 3 kids.

Vanessa
    near Nashville

P.S. they also wait for the worst weather--we were in a heck of a thunderstorm!

3. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Her ligaments feel gone to me...

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

If you do a search for ligament pictures, you should come up with a post by me with my good ligament pictures, if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

The grunting noise is very common with my small herd. At least half of them are grunting, more than likely because their big bellies are making it a tad more difficult to simply breath.

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Some just complain more than others. I've had some that will lay around and grunt like that for the last month or so, usually if they are carrying triplets. Also, some will show a little mucous a few weeks prior to kidding. Your best clues are probably the tail ligaments and actual bagging up tight.
    mary

7. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Your are not alone - I have been experiencing the same things and the due date has come and gone! After spending an hour with her I am positive the grunts I heard are from being uncomfortable from all the extra pressure pushing on things while she is laying down.

8. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I hear ya too... I have a doe who I wasn't even sure was pregnant till 2 weeks ago when she started acting funny, so I felt on her belly and sure enough felt kid movement. The day after that she lost her ligaments and I was up aaalllll night, watched the frost form on everything, fell asleep staring at her, yada yada yada. Next afternoon, what the heck? the ligaments are back! Back I tell ya! She was all "ripe" in the business end and everything, udder was full. This past Tuesday night there was lotsa grunting and repositioning of herself, rather methodically and on a schedule, every 2 minutes as a matter of fact, she'd grunt, breathe heavily, half stand up, look like she was getting ready to push, lay back down and munch some hay. By dawn she was all calm and normal, no more grunting or heavy breathing, and by Wednesday afternoon she had a significant wad of goop coming out. She's been "losing" her ligaments every couple days too. :grump: Still lotsa kid movement, and she seems happy and blissfully unaware of the frustration I am experiencing! lol So now here I am Saturday night and thinking I better go check on her again! :baby04:

9. christij

Ohh - that so sounds like my last week! And now it's getting super cold and I have a babe with a stuffed up head -- ohh it's going to be a fun week!

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Well I will be in the same boat as you all really soon. I am expecting my first babies around the 5th of Feb. I have two bred to deliver then, (I was not there so I don't know a exact date), and another one due in March. (The buck got in with this one).
    I have a Love hate relationship with this time of year. I love it becasue I love all the babies, but I hate it becasue I hate all the waiting. :shrug: :help: We are never happy are we?

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Don't you guys get it? It's a conspiracy theory to make us all look like fools. They only grunt and moan and ACT like they're going into labor to mess with our heads. They even recognize baby monitors in the barn and camera set-ups ...they're goats after all, and pretty darned smart! All quiet, then "quick, here comes a human BWAHAHAHAHA! Start moaning girls!" I myself have been fooled time and time again. This year they're not going to fool me, I refuse to spend hours in the straw sitting, I just won't do it, I swear I won't, you won't see me getting suckered....oh heck, I'm as bad as the rest of you and insanely jealous that I have to wait until March.

12. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    I once had a Nubian doe who groaned when she was pregnant for 5 MINUTES!!!!!! lol... She sure kept me on my toes throughout her 5 months of pregnancy!

(now it is old hat, and I keep due dates, so I KNOW when they are messing with my head...;) ) THey DO make me doubt myself sometimes, tho.....lol...smart crittes, they are!

13. christij

I thought Miracle was acting even funnier today so I took DD with a friend and her kids to the Y and I joked when I get I will give you a panic call if anything has happened (DD isn't one yet - next week!) - we laughed -- HAHHA -- guess what she got the panic call -- all three where here! NOw we know if I would of stayed home I probably would still be waiting!