My goat is coughing....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Actually it sounds more like a smokers hack than a cough and he only does it when he is around his woman, or running over to her. He can run around and not do it, and quite often he doesn't do it at all. Could he be sick with something or could this be some weird mating thing? He seems fine otherwise, but I haven't taken his temperature. A side note, he never has had much of a voice either, his bleet is very squeaky and quiet and he doesn't seem to be bleeting much right now anyway. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

I do that too at times. *;o)

I wouldnt worry about it.

3. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

My goats cough at various times too.. and my Queen hacks like a smoker after she runs.. but during this time of the year, when they tend to stay in the barn more, if their bedding is dry and they're not breating in amnonia, then I wouldn't worry about it.. a good check is to get on your knees in his sleeping quarters and smell the bedding (yea, get right down there where his nose is) .. if it smells like amnonia, then it needs cleaning..

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I think some of the coughing is also due to the higher amounts of roughage, alfalfa pellets, hay and the browse and grass in the pastures is frosted and has alot less moisture in it. The stretching of the rumen this causes perhaps causes them to cough when they exert themselves. Takes alot less rumen size or work to digest wet grass or grain than all this dry matter. Vicki