My Goat is being bossy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Macruari, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

My husband and I are novices in the goat area so I am not sure what to do about this problem. We have a "herd" of two does, about 2 years old. Clementine is the queen of this little herd and that has been fine. My husband brought home 2 new does (yearlings) last night. Clementine is being way more bossy than I think she ought to be, to establish her place as leader. She doesn't want the new ones around the food or water or barn. Will this settle down with a little time or is there something we can do to insure that she accepts the new ones.
    Thanks.

2. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

There always has to be a herd leader and this will likely settle down quickly....when I first got my two does, Jodie was bigger than Baby and pushed her around all the time....now Baby is bigger than Jodie....

then we we got our Billy goat, Harley, they both bossed him around all the time....except now he is WAAAAAAY bigger than either one of them (weighs about 250)....

Right now Jodie is in a seperate pasture with her nearly three month old baby Stormie and Baby and Harley are in the pasture together....

It seems they just have to work out who is "boss." The new goats are likely eating and drinking something....but try to feed them and then "entertain" the bossy goat with a special treat or something to allow the newbies to get some food and water...after a few days I think it should settle down...

3. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

Thanks for the encouragement that they will work it out. The two new ones are getting their alone time with the food and water when the other 2 are getting milked, otherwise we make sure they are getting some when we go up to visit. We got goats because our land is on the side of a small mountain so not exactly nice land to farm but I have high hopes. So any hints on farming mountain land (and the fact that New Hampshire mountains are very much granite) would be appreciated from any of you experienced farmers.

thanks again.