My gift to you.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cabe, Apr 16, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Hi ,everyone in here has meant much to me , and given me comfort. I would like to give something that for some is not interesting, but could help others that need extra income during Christmas.Next time you surf the net, just type in -Marty Cabe Wreaths.I do this during the holidays since I have a large family, and gift giving can cost more than usual.Just contact me here and I will get you started , and have you making wreaths for extra income but for me it has become almost a career.We are going big time this year, and will be part of a huge national fresh wreaths website featuring wreaths from all parts of U.S.A..I just wanted to offer this so folks who love to homestead can make money from the(many of you already do) farms , with things from nature.I have taught hundreds every year for many years, and now some of them work for me. But this is my gift to you all , and I hope it brings good tidings.Marty.

2. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Marty;
    Tried to find your website, couldn't. Typed in Marty Cabe Wreaths and martycabewreaths and martycabewreaths.com couldn't find your website on MSN or Google.
    tamilee

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Marty,

I used www.dogpile.com search which searches all the other search engines as well and I found two newspaper articles about your wreaths but no wreath site. Can you give us more to work with? And hey! Congratulations on being a world record holder!!! WOW!!! Thats something. I know another celebrity.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Wreaths are a big part of our farm's business. We view it as work. Do the clamp rings make a difference? We use traditional rings and hand tie with paddle wire. I do have a Kelco machine for wholesale wreaths but hand wrap retail. Retail wreaths are much fuller than our wholesale so they don't fit easily on the machine. I love wreath season but it's work. We start November 1 if it's been cold enough for balsam to get waxy and run through the week before Christmas. It's a short season but with long hours and fast hands we make a nice income by selling retail. I take a few wholesale orders from customers who have been buying from my family for more than 20 years but otherwise got out of wholesale last year.

What kind of tips do you use in the south? We use traditional balsam and add cedar and pine.

I found this link when I looked for your website. http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/11_03/11_26_03/art_wreath.html

We started making wreaths for the same reason. My in-laws have been making wreaths for over 20 years, before I married into the family. I wanted Christmas trees but once I ran the numbers I realized it wasn't profitable for the amount of time it takes to grow a Christmas tree. We're topping our trees off at 20' and selectively tipping for full brush trees. Instead of planting we've managed the wild trees we have on our 45 acres. I also manage a small Christmas tree farm for a neighbor. He planted his trees a couple of years before Canadian trees (we live on the border between Maine and New Brunswick, Canada) flooded the market. He let his trees grow. I keep them in shape and keep the lot neat in exchange for the tips.

My plans for the day have me in the greenhouse with seedlings and more seeds to plant. It's nice to chat about wreaths this time of year. I do look forward to November - but not until I've had time to do everything we do between now and then - let's not rush summer. <g> Good luck on your world record!

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

6. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Tried to pm you but you don't have that option. Could you pm me about the sunflower W ? How one can go about ordering the kit. Thanks Jeannie

7. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Sorry it took me so long everyone, I been fishing.We did good and now we got 30 or so really nice brook, browns for the fish fry.O.K. , I did not want to say anything about our website.Mainly as this is where we make money during the holidays, and I am just being freindly here, I dont want anyone to get the wrong idea, I wont be offering kits and stuff, I am just going to consult.We use Fraser Fir, and that stuff keeps very well. We wait until the first frost, and then we harvest bottom brush from select trees.We both wholesale, and retail but the wreaths are the same one sided and clamp rings.I have developed a fairly new method that allows for incredible ease of labor force and we are having good luck with it.Our best and most famous wreath is actually the cross frame with golden arbivida at all ends of cross(4 points)and dogwood bunch at head for crown of thorns look.This we place(in the center) an oversize red bow with long tails to symb. blood of Jesus.Great wreath, and we supply many churches for Christmas and Easter. We do fundraisers, farmers markets,tree lots,businesses , P.T.O, Scouts, and some celebs.I even tried my darndest to get in touch with Charles Frazier (Cold Mountain)to do his estate but he wont call me.He is from this same town as mine, and his dad was my principle in school. I gave him a nice wreath once at his first book signing here but...
    EVERYONE, if you want to make wreaths now is the time to get started with your greenery supply. Leave natural all greens when you can, and fertilize soon. I use 18-46-0 and about 2 cups spread around dripline for normal size shrub.White pine, Cedar,Fir,Spruce,Balsam,Holly,Boxwood, will all do well like this and sell very well. Most folks when retailing can make about 20 bucks an hour . You must have a good location , and I reccomend donating some wreaths every year . This is best to start. You must use good healthy crisp colored foilage. That is the key fresh , fresh, fresh. I have had some good questions . I will be very happy to offer much more in the way of advice.Its what I do, and if it can help anyone then good.Marty.

8. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I will be very happy to offer much more in the way of advice.Its what I do, and if it can help anyone then good.

OK, where'd ya get the trout? Been wanting to get down there for some good trout fishin. Nearest town would be of help.

9. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I am helpful about wreaths. But I am not crazy enough to give away my fishin spots. :haha: Marty.

10. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

OK..........bet ya 50 bucks I can outfish ya.
    You pick the stream. :D

11. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Some people just dont get into the spirit of giving! remember give up a great fishing spot and the Lord will reward you! I would gladly offer some of mine, but seem to have a touch of amnesia starting!

12. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Watch it there Highground, I got children that can out hunt and fish most folks, and you should never make fishing a contest, people might get into using worms and such instead of spinners and flies.And the part about you name the creek, this is an obvious ploy just to find my trout.You got to get up earlier than this to fool me. Have a good one, and find your own fishin. :cool: Marty.