Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is my garden. For the past several years I have grown my garden using compost only. The last time I used commercial fertilizer or insecticides on my garden was about ten years ago.

I always have compost going. I clean out the coop and rabbit cages and pile it all into a pile. I add lawn clippings and mulched leaves to the pile. I let it sit several months and when it is time to start working the garden area in the spring I add the compost and till it in.

I always have more vegetables than I can eat so I give vegetables to family and friends. I keep promising myself that one of these days I am going to learn how to can so that I can eat my own vegetables throughout the winter. I really promise that some day I will learn how to can.

I have found that my vegetable garden grows better and the plants are healthier without using commercial fertilizer or other chemicals. The insects also seem to not attack my vegetables as much as they did when I used chemicals to "try" to control them.

Sorry, this picture isn't the best but it gives an idea of how well my garden does when I use compost.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is lush. The picture was taken about two weeks ago so things are much bigger now. About a month ago I thought my garden for this year was over. I had come home from work and found the turkeys had gotten into the garden and trampled it flat. I was quite bummed and thought about just pulling everything out but decided to leave it and see if the plants would come back. The plants all came back really good.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
excellent growth! I'm also a big fan of compost. I got some chickens again this year, and I value the manure for fertilzer almost as much as raising the chickens for meat and eggs. Currently, I hot composted a 2 cu. yard batch over the past few weeks that is finished for use now, and another load is ready once I add some more pasture clippings to get it really going and heated up. I also use it to make manure tea for watering as a liquid amendment. works good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts