My Garden! (Zone 9.5-10!)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Grandmotherbear, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't use the spring garden on the south side of the house because the neighbor's tall trees shade it as the sun travels south over the autuwmn-winter. So I will probably plant pots and put them on the North side of the house, that gets a lot of sun. I'm not sure how large a pot to use for winged beans and edible loofah. My other ordered seeds include yardlong bean, amaranth (japanese spinach) malabar spinach and japanese brocolli (looks like occidental brocolli to me!) Plus the standard pole beans. Can't wait!

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have loofah growing in tiny pots, and they're thriving. I can't imagine how huge they'd be if I had them in the ground. I'm so glad I discovered them --- they're all along a fenceline and look just lovely.

Next year, I'm trying them in the ground.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've used 5 gal buckets to grow lots of stuff. They are cheap (even free!) and easily come by. If you get them from a bakery and they are full of icing you can scrape the excess into the compost and then plant without washing the bucket. I like to fill them with horse barn bedding (uncomposted). You wouldn't believe some of the tomatoes and peppers and stuff I've had from them!

4. Trisha A

Trisha A Active Member

Grandmotherbear,
    How about planting into bales of hay? I saw this on tv all he did was put plastic under them, pour bloodmeal on them, water them then in two weeks he planted little plants in the hay, that way you could use the tops and the sides and there will be no weeding. I guess you would have to start your seeds now in peat pots so you have plants to plant when the hay is ready. I think I am going to try this myself. Hay is cheap and when I am done I can still use it for compost.

Trisha