My free mulch!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Meg Z, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm rich again!

My son works for a company that clears power lines. He's the guy up in the tree with the chain saw...you know, the one who's chopping your pecan tree in half so it won't touch the power line? :rolleyes: Yep, that guy everyone hates. :nono: That's my boy!

Well, they toss all that stuff, trees and brush into big chipper trucks. Right now his crew is working on our side of the county, so he's got them dumping the truck back behind the workshop. Woohoo!! Some of the stuff didn't chop well, of course, and can go to the fire pit. Most of it is chopped finger sized and smaller. Give it a couple weeks/months depending on the weather, and the woody parts will make great top mulch for the new landscaping I'm doing.

I love my son!!!
    Meg

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sooo jealous! Around here they chip it roadside and spray it back where the tree was.

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Thank you for posting this, Meg! You gave me an idea. My neighbor (the one I let hunt on my property) works for the county and woodchipping is part of his job. I think I'll give him a call. :D

4. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't that attract termites?

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I would think that the particles would be too small to be utilized as digestible material by termites, although, of course, any mulch that holds moisture increases the risk of subterranean termites. However, most of this will be going around the grape arbor, the blackberries, down the driveway, etc, rather than near the house. Even the beds at the house will be boxed in by landscaping timbers, and will be set about six inches off the house, for water control reasons, so won't be right up on the foundation. I think we'll be fine. But good point. I certainly wouldn't want to pile this stuff right up next to the house. That could be a problem!

Meg

6. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

I Got Some To This Year. About 6 Loads. Havent Had Any In 3 Years. It Really Works Good. But..........what Is It That They Put In It, Somekind Of Powder Herbicide,,,pesticide......? It Didnt Kill Anything I Put It On, But You Could Smell And See The Dust Of It.

If You Dont Know, Would You Please Ask Your Son For Us So We Can Take Precausations? Thank. Mom Sue

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The company Joe works for doesn't put anything on it. They just cut it and haul it off. If another crew comes by and sprays after they're done, he's not aware of it. Our stuff just smells like trees.

Sorry I can't help there.

Meg

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Momanto, that white powder stuff is neither actual dust nor anything added. It's simply the natural mold from the beginnings of making compost out of it. That's mainly from the green stuff that's also in it. Won't kill anything but may have become mushrooms in time if left in a pile!

Martin

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

How long did it take you to type that? :rolleyes: