Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... The other day, Chickenista suggested a couple little things to combat the INCREDIBLY HARD WATER we have here.
And I finally assembled the ingredients. And washed my hair twice now...

Oh.
My.
Gawsh!

I am so happy after just two applications of your water softener suggestions!
And I have hopes that the stinging nettle may revive all five hairs... LOL! And maybe a couple of their cousins!

I don't know how to thank you enough! My hair feels so much softer and the auburn highlights that I haven't seen in five years are back, just getting the sediment off my poor five hairs has made a huge difference! They are fluffy and bright.... Oh! Wheeeeeee!

All five of them THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU so much!

You are the rock star of herbs! And things.

:) <3 :)

Attachments

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Yay!!
Go little 5 hairs! Go little 5 hairs!

I am so very happy that you are happy and that your hairs look better.
And I bet that you feel better about life as well.
It is my pleasure. :)

Though I am not sure why I got the celebratory pic of peppers...?

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
The OP's post said stinging nettle, but not the other thing to use - nor how. Vinegar rinse?

I, too, would like to know.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Can you buy stinging nettles? We don't have any growing here. Who'd have thought I'd miss them?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OP's post said stinging nettle, but not the other thing to use - nor how. Vinegar rinse?

I, too, would like to know.
It is a way to remove the chemicals from the city water, and to soften the water a smidge.

I'd like know also.
Coming right up!

Yay!!
Go little 5 hairs! Go little 5 hairs!

I am so very happy that you are happy and that your hairs look better.
And I bet that you feel better about life as well.
It is my pleasure. :)

Though I am not sure why I got the celebratory pic of peppers...?

I'm not sure how the Peppers got in there... LOL! But they are festive-colored!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was from another website, and I'll have to grab that link...

But the OOOP had posted this...

======

"I make my water in a gallon water jug right before I get in the shower, I use warm water and add 1/32 of a teaspoon of vitamin c and 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid. I think the key to this is less is more, I didn't want a strongly acidic solution like the standard after-shampoo citric acid rinse (1/4 teaspoon to 2 cups of water). I just wanted enough to chelate the minerals and through trial and error found that 1/4 teaspoon was plenty. I was also worried that if it was too acidic, shampoo and conditioner wouldn't work correctly and that it would dry out my hair.

"I take the gallon jug into the shower and it's the only water that touches my hair. I just love it, my hair is much softer and uncoated, no more velcro ends. I get so much slip that I don't even need to condition it to untangle it. And my hair color is much brighter without the minerals discoloring it (I have calcium, magnesium and iron in my water). Oh, and it gets rid of the scalp gunk caused by hard water too! "

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you buy stinging nettles? We don't have any growing here. Who'd have thought I'd miss them?

Yes. I bought some from Amazon. $14 for a pound of it.

It smells very green and weedy, and I am sure my PostMan had to do a double take on it! LOL!

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
The chemistry sounds about right. Mixing it thoroughly would be important, and it MIGHT work better if made the night before.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I whipped it up as two gallons, in a bucket, and it lasted about a week. Two washes... I used screaming hot water, and used a little cloth bag to make Nettle Tea of it. I didn't mind shampooing with cold water...

That said, the Nettle part had started smelling kinda funky, and I don't think I will keep it that long again. It had gotten musty. I'll make it fresh, let it steep, use it the next day, and pour out any remainder.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Yep.. with any natural product, make in small amounts only!
Though you could make a quart jar of it, then microwave to heat as needed or throw it back on the stove.
Any parts that aren't used should be refrigerator stored.

And you don't have to rinse the nettles out of your hair. If you are just using nettle tea, it can be left on.
:)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
And here I thought the red peppers must have been what restored the auburn highlights!

Reactions: partndn

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I'm going to try this too! The texture of my hair has changed so much, it doesn't even feel like my hair any more, lol...and tangles, yeowch! It has always tangled, but not like this! Plus I'm getting buildup on my scalp that I really don't like, it's not as shiny, and I'm having a lot more fallout, argh.

My hair is down to my waist and has always been my pride, but I've been getting to the point where I'm about ready to whack it off at the rubberband around my ponytail...and if you knew how much I hate short hair you'd know how desperate that is, lol! :)

I've never had hard water like this before and didn't make the connection at first. Then I found a few things that worked for a while, but none lasted, even when I tried alternating them. So I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Thanks Traci for posting this and thanks once again Chickenista for the solution! :)

P.S. I've been thinking about using a rinse with some lemon juice and the liquid from some steeped marigold and chamomile to bring out my highlights more. Would it be okay to incorporate that into your solution, or maybe just the flower fluid since it already has citric acid...or should I not combine them at all? Thanks!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
For the ick on your scalp, I would try taking a biotin supplement.
I am guessing that it is kind of waxy, flaky gross?
Biotin can make that go away.
It is almost like cradle cap. Some folks just don't take up enough biotin from their food.
I take it in the winter.

And I would also suggest the brown sugar.
Amazing for hair that needs moisture without the weight of oil.
And longer hair gets drier because it isn't near the scalp.
Same for curly hair. It gets drier too.

And the nettles will help with the Fall shed.
It was the Fall shed that made me cut all of my long hair off 2 years ago.
I wasn't maintaining it like I should, not using the nettles etc..
and it just got so thin and gross that I had it ALL cut off.
All.
Never gonna make that mistake again.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Yes, I'd describe it more as waxy and definitely gross, lol. It hasn't been a big problem yet but I wash my hair less in the winter and was afraid it might get to be a pain. I even tried a dandruff shampoo, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll try the biotin and brown sugar.

So what about the flowers for a lightener/brightener...are they okay? :) I used to use them all the time when I was younger, but kind of forgot about them until just lately.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Sure..
adding those flowers can lighten, brighten too.
I would set them to steep in a closed pint jar overnight at least, or even a bit longer.
And leave it on to sit for a while too.
Heck.. you could even just pour some on and not rinse it out until the next morning.
Yeah... nettles and chamomile overnight.

And definitely the biotin.
Not to be gross, but in the winter months it isn't only my scalp that gets the cradle cap stuff. I also get it on my forehead and the bridge of my nose a bit.
Biotin makes it all go away and my hair and nails look better too.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure..
adding those flowers can lighten, brighten too.
I would set them to steep in a closed pint jar overnight at least, or even a bit longer.
And leave it on to sit for a while too.
Heck.. you could even just pour some on and not rinse it out until the next morning.
Yeah... nettles and chamomile overnight.

And definitely the biotin.
Not to be gross, but in the winter months it isn't only my scalp that gets the cradle cap stuff. I also get it on my forehead and the bridge of my nose a bit.
Biotin makes it all go away and my hair and nails look better too.

Is it due to a drier skin, lower humidity situation?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts