Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just bought a 1936 Cavalier woodburning cook stove. I've never used one before and I'm curious about a few things. First of all when we install it, how far does it need to be from the walls? Also we are not able to set it directly under where the stovepipe is in the cieling so we are going to need a couple of elbows...how far should the pipe we're going to use to go across be from the ceiling? I'm so very excited to get to use it but I don't want to make any rash mistakes! Thanks in advance :)

Stacey~

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any unshielded stove or pipe needs to be 36 inches from combustable surfaces. If you put up a heat shield behind the stove it can usually be 12 inches from the shield but you would also need to shield the pipe. You can buy a curved metal heat shield for stove pipe that screws together in sections and then mounts with bolts directly to the stove pipe (we have this for our coal heating stove). You should be able to get heat shields from any dealer that sells wood or coal burning stoves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks, thats a big help. Makes me feel safer lol. We have a really good hardware store not far from here that deals in stove accessories. I'll be checking with them tomorrow.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here is an installation guide that will answer all your questions. Please first note the difference between stove pipe and chimney pipe. Stove pipe is the single or double wall pipe that is attached directly to the exhaust of the stove. Chimney pipe is the double or triple walled pipe that is designed to pass through floors and the roof.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/help-pipe-install-planning.html

If you select stove pipe, you have to keep single-wall pipe at least 18" away from combustables. For double-wall STOVE pipe, the distance is 6". Triple-wall chimney pipe has only a 2" clearance.

When evaluating what you need, remember your stove exhaust determines what size to buy. If you have a 6" exhaust, you buy 6" pipe. If you have an 8" exhaust you must use 8" pipe. Never, ever try to make an adapter to link a larger sized exhaust to a smaller sized pipe. That's a serious code violation because it's considered quite dangerous.

One last thing. You always peice together the pipe such that the peice above slips INSIDE the peice below. Never slip the upper peice OVER the lower peice. That way creosote will not be able to drain outside the pipe where it can be exposed to oxygen and potentially light on fire outside the pipe.

Like you, I got ahold of a 1932 Monarch stove, in very good functional condition, which I installed in my cabin's kitchen. Love using it in the winter to keep the kitchen warm. Be warned though. A woodstove is SLOW. I timed myself making my morning cappaccino (yes, I make myself a mocha latte on a woodburning stove) and it took 45 minutes from the time I struck the match till the time I took my first sip. Now I know why all those old stories talked about how kids waited in bed while Mama (or Papa) was downstairs preparing breakfast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MichaelK, thank you SO much! That info is extremely helpful. I didn't realize there were all those different types, but so glad to know now. That changes drastically the way I was going to put it in. That's so funny about your mocha!! My hubby drinks expresso that is boiled - for now - on a coleman camp grill, the suitcase type (circa 1965) lol. So I know what you mean.

Was also wondering, could I get the stove burning and then put on a layer of coal. My parents said it would burn all day like that. I've used coal before, so I can see how it would. Just wondering.

Nimrod, thanks for that info. I will look for a 45 degree one then, because we HAVE to do it that way. It's the way our kitchen bar is set up between our living room and kitchen. I'm not sure what they had under this particular pipe, but it couldn't have been very big. My stove just won't fit there. I'll try to post pics of my predicament when I can. I don't have internet at home and don't have a lot of time to utilize it at work.

Really appreciate you guys! Thanks!

Stacey~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts