My first vegetable garden!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ladoodle, Apr 10, 2005.

1. ladoodle

ladoodle Member

Hello all! I want to start a vegetable garden this year and need some advice. I just don't know where to start! I live in Northern Illinois, zone 5, and it just started warming up here. Is now a goood time to begin, or should I have already started? Also, I am very interested in heirloom plants, but wonder if these are good for a beginner? I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts, this site is a great place to while away the hours...

2. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't help with the timing, I'm a mite south of you. I don't think heirlooms are a problem. If you're interested grow them. Many things I grow are considered heirlooms and I've never grown any thing else as far as those crops are concerned. You may not get the yields but the flavor and texture will make up for it IMHO.
    Ed

3. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I'm in N. Indiana also zone 5 and now is the time for things like peas and lettuce and onion sets but early for stuff like corn and tomatoes and beans. Those usually get planted around Memorial day around here (I'm told). A guy is coming to till me up a garden patch on Tuesday so I'll be starting my first real garden too. My mom and dad veggie gardened for years and so I have a little background but not much.

4. ladoodle

ladoodle Member

Thanks for the advice!!

5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I'm a tad north of you.... Michigan, borderline zones 4-5..... We also plant around Labor day, but I do cover the plants for a while at night when temps and frost are a problem. If you are using seeds, I'd start them soon inside...
    Best of luck with your garden!!!

Kaza