Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
HillHippie
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took on a quilt project to give as a baby gift for a co-worker. the baby is due in about a month, so i thought "eh, why not?!"
so i get the material together. when go to work the next day, i find out that his last day is in 3 days!! :eek:
i've never made a quilt... never seen it done for that matter... but you've never SEEN a quilting frenzy like this one! i had my fiance cutting while i sewed. finished it 15 minutes before i had to leave for work on the last day. :dance:

finished product. here it is! (baby's gender unknown)

tied in hemp twine with a bundle of homegrown lavender

i laughed and said "watch it end up in their next yard sale for $1 :shrug:

oh well, it was fun. :baby04:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
no, no no! No yard sale for that one!

I think you did an admirable job on short notice, no experience, and no knowledge! The squares are square, the quilt is 'square', and the quilting lines are straight! Better than many a first try!!

Job well done!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
very nice, you deserve a pat on the back. Im sure they loved it ..who wouldnt

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Fine job, and a good size for a newborn. It will probably end up being the kid's favorite blankie.

Next time you make a checkerboard, use strip piecing. For more info, look up Eleanor Burns.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
It looks perfect! You did a wonderful job, especially considering how rushed you were! The way you packaged it is absolutely lovely. If someone went to so much trouble for me I would treasure it forever. I hope your coworker does the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That sure doesn't look like a first quilt! It's really nice!

I bet that ends up being the favorite 'bankie'.

You did good. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I was the new mommy I would be thrilled. It's funny, but both of my daughters loved their handmade quilts (unfortunately I don't know how to quilt, but received the gift of quilts for both baby showers) and these have been the most treasured gifts. My eldest is heading to Navy bootcamp next week and is thinking about cutting a small piece of her quilt to take with her and tuck into her pillow! LOL, I Don't know how that will fly, but you can see how important her quilt is to her. My younger daugher also loved her handmade baby quilt, which was basically just a soft blanket that a good friend had embellished and put a satin trimming around, but she loved that thing to tatters.... I cut a small piece of of it out and stored it with other treasured items. finally put the poor chewed up thing to rest. But I can assure you that baby quilts can be a very important part of a childs past.

·
HillHippie
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all very much! i love the affirmations :)
being as i don't work with "daddy" anymore, i won't ever really know how my very first quilt went over... but i do love to imagine it being "blankie" one day.... sigh :D

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
You can call yourself an accomplished quilter - it's an awesome quilt. It's cute and the colors are perfect for a baby.

prairiegirl

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
That quilt looks so comforting and snuggly - great job! I, too, thought the packaging was absolutely beautiful - very nice style you got there. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Your quilt is wonderful! And to all the newbie quilters who have posted pics lately, your projects are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
karen in Indiana

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
sure that's beautiful. and I love the wrapping.! makes me think I should finish the one I started 15 years ago! ...Georgia.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Excellent job. Love the packaging.
:goodjob:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts