Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh, knew it wouldn't take long before I had a question. :cool: I've read lots on feeding slop to pigs but how young can they be when you start? I'm not sure how old my pig is but it weighs 20 lbs. and I have it on starter feed. The feed store said to use this one bag of starter and then use grower feed.

I take they eat everything basically. I've read chocolate, mistletoes, poinsettas are poisonious to them. Anything else I need to know.....

mljjranch

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers. I knew potato skins were bad for chickens but I can't find anything about potato skins bad for pigs. I called my 85 year old Grandma last night.....she is the expert on raising animals in our family. She says to feed all your vegatable peelings including potato's to the pig. She said that she kept a bucket by the backdoor and would throw all the scraps in it after dinner she would mix either milk or water in the scraps, stir and take it to the pig. She swears the pig knew exactly when dinner was over because he would be waiting for the slop to be thrown in.

I took a couple pieces of bread soaked in milk and tried to feed the pig last night but it wasn't "hog wild" about it. I don't think it has been eating dry food for very long so we might have to wait a bit before it gets a taste for slop.

mljjranch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.