My first kidding this morning! (also a problem)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Dec 30, 2005.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Hi!
    My Nubian doe kidded twin bucklings this morning. The birth was an easy one.
    I was given this doe about a month ago. She was in pretty poor condition.
    The first kid born is strong and active. The second kid is weak, will barely suckle with help and can stand but will hardly walk at all and seems a little contracted in the rear legs. I know I read something about this a while back but I don't remember what was said about it. I'm tube feeding the weak kid (Vet showed me how to do it). I tried giving him a TINY bit (like 1/2 cc) of Goat Nutri-Drench and he acted like it went into his lungs.
    He didn't get chilled, his temp is normal.
    What do I do to help him along?? :confused:
    Thanks in advance.
    PS- Will post pics tomorrow!

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Will he suck>? I would give a 1/4cc of selenium. That helps a weak kid a lot.
    I would give more the colostrum then nutridrench. You can put drops of Nutri-drench right on his tonge.

Let us know how he is doing-Liz

3. KimM

He will only take about 4 or 5 little sucks and he'll do that 3 or 4 times and that's if I help him, then he quits trying......not nearly enough.
    Can I get selenium at the feedstore? Injectable? Is that what the BoSe shot is? Would that be SQ or IM?
    Vet said to tube feed him with 1 1/2 oz. colostrum/milk per feeding, every 4 hours. Any and all suggestions or advice are appreciated!

4. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

hi, we have had a lot trouble this year with weak goat because of 1st time kidding. but i posted and got some great help and the one that lived is doing great. go to page 5, 1/2 way down to birth ?'s read through everything it got me through.
    prayer for you and kid
    felica

5. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

sounds like you are doing great with the tubing though. And I think I read if you get it in the lung they die right away. so it must not be in the lung.
    Yes, Bo-Se- SQ. I have found it really helps with a weak kid.
    Liz

6. KimM

Thanks so much! What would be the dose? I'll pick some up tomorrow.....and post pics!
    Will this help the contracted tendons in his back legs?

7. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

You can't get Bo-Se at a feed store, but yes it does sound like this kid needs some bad.I would give him 1/4 a cc and I would actually mix some Nutri drench in with his colostrum, I do this to every kid born. They get 1 1/2 pumps in their first bottle...I have kids that will take 6-8 oz their first bottle though. I would not limit this kid to 1 1/2 oz a feeding every 4 hours. I would let him take as much as he will take. If you tube it into him you want his tummy to be a little pooched out. If it is coming up on 4 hrs and he is still sleeping I would wake him up so he isn't totally running on empty by the time he realizes it. Rub him vigerously with your fingertips to stimulte him when he is nursing.
    Getting the Bo-Se in him and keeping his belly full is what is going to make the difference with him.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Often you can get the sucking reflex working by rubbing their back ends like Mom would do.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

BoSE is a prescription, so you'll need to get it from your vet.

10. KimM

Thank you all!! Will call my vet in the morning for the Bo-Se.
    I just came up from the barn and before tubing him, I try and help him suckle first and he was stronger and got quite a bit down that way, enough that I didn't have to tube him. YAY!!! I'll be getting back up in a few hours and feed him again. Great idea mixing the nutridrench in the milk. I'll do that if I have to tube him again.
    Yup, I scritch his little rear and it makes him want to suckle more. I knew horses were that way so I gave it a try. Oh and are all goat births so slimey???
    Horse births aren't. I was surprised! :eek: LOL!

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm glad your little goat is eating better. Once they gain strength, they begin nursing. The Bo Se shot should help too. What happens is that the first kid in a weaker doe gets more of the nutrition in the uterus and grows stronger than it's twin. Newborns can also have wobbly or otherwise funky back legs from it's position in the uterus. This usually resolves itself with a few days.