My first homeplace income for 2004 happened this morning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shrek, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

While walking the dogs I found a trashed wind blown window screen and brought it home to part out. I salvaged a piece of mesh screen , rubber gasket , aluminum frame and joiners suitable for replacement components for pieces that I purchase to incorporate in the worm bins I build. As the parts that I purchase cost me $4 to $6, I can consider that our 30 minute walk this morning had a $12 per hour value to me. So when someone says you cant make good money off the homeplace, remeber that they lack the perspective to see the potentials.

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

These posts are great! I must have at least a half a dozen of those screens laying around my new place. Also have a complete sliding glass aluminum door for when they remodelled years ago - figured I could make a cold frame out of that. What about old hoses? I have lots of those laying around too. Do the repair kits work very well?

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

That is Exactly Why our disloyal, socially unconscious , American companies are moving as many Jobs as possible over to india and china. Profit is the ultimate aphrodesiac for them. I don't understand how the HELL they think they can Sell their products to Consumers who have NO jobs. Very profitable initially but shortsided in the Long run in my opinion.......fordy :D

4. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

That's exactly what happened to me, my pay check was overhead. Utilities and raw materials were a given and could be reduced no further and the only way left to cut cost was cut heads. Several years of energy saving projects and incentives to reduce costs provided an anual savings that management grew to expect every year and it ran out but they still needed savings. I was let go and the sad thing was a good friend my boss probably got a good bonus for letting me go. Things are good for me though I can spend more time on being self sufficient.