My first garden pest!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hovey Hollow, May 1, 2006.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

:viking: I've been blaming one of my dogs for the holes in my garden and the other day I was about ready to kill him! One of the kids pointed out that Harry's feet aren't muddy and he IS white. We had just had a rain so I decided to go out and look for tracks and figure out the culprit. I've determined that it's ARMADILLOS!! I never even thought about armadillos. I figured I'd be fighting deer and rabbits and bugs, not armadillos!!! Since the rain, I've noticed little holes through the yard, driveway, etc. I'm fine with those.........they don't really bother me. But he's going up the paths of the garden and digging up the edges of my beds. He's dislodged several of my green beans, some of my lettuce and spinach and the corn on the edges of the beds is all topsy turvy. :flame:

Anyone have any luck getting rid of these guys? I'm planning a fence around the area, but really don't have it in me to bury it. I don't own a gun, and the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate gunshots at 2 am anyway. I've read on the net that they can be caught in a live trap baited with earthworms tied in a stocking. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?
    Thanks! :help:

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Yep.I shoot 'em at my place,but occasionally,my landscape customers need me to get rid of 'em.A live trap,baited with earthwoms,tied up in a stocking works well for me.If you can find their burrow,toss a coupla' smoke bombs in.they will either come out,to be clubbed/shot,or they will die in the burrow.Once they find a spot they like,they won't go away by themselves.Because it's earthworms they are after,they flock to your,rich,earthworm-laden soil.Evil,evil,critters.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about armadillos, but I do have a white dog named Harry! LOL. I don't suppose yours is also a Labrador?

4. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

No..........Harry is a mutt. Best guess is some mixture of Poodle/Maltese/Westie??? White hairy mutt. We named him after the book Harry the Dirty Dog, which is about a white dog with black spots who doesn't want to take a bath and so he runs away. When he comes back he is black with white spots and his owners don't recognize him. When our Harry showed up at our house he was nearly black with patches of white. He had been rolling in the charcoaled remains of our pig roast the week before. He's pretty good for nothin, whiney, and pretty darn ugly too, but we love him anyway. (Except when I thought he was digging in our garden)

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter