Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever set of twins. First calf heifer. Both girls. They were born out on pasture, but got rides up to the lots to make sure all will be fine. I know I have read a lot where people just automatically take one away, but I'm going to see what happens. Twin 2 is who I'll take away if needed. I've been reading where a lot of people have been having twins this year.

Lovin' on twin 2

Calling for twin 1

Lovin' on twin 1

Dad waiting in the waiting room next door...:D.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Twins is a tough gig for a first calf heifer. She is still growing herself, the forage will be low quality when she needs to make the most milk, etc. Make sure she has minerals and supplement her if she loses condition. If she gets the feed, she should make the milk and breed back timely. Congrats! Are they boy/girl? If so, the female will probably be a freemartin.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Ive got 3 angus cows with twins right now... all doing fine. Yours *should* be able to breed as a F/F set.. but I wouldn't rely on them to be the replacements in your herd.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for replies! I'm glad to hear so much in favor that it could work out! So far so good! Luckily I'm available for 24/7 supervision. ..and momma is a super tame home raised heifer, so I can easily do any thing that is needed. I've been scratching her saying she did a good job and that she has quite the responsibility ahead of her....:D.

It's funny...most of the time the calves stand exactly the same while drinking, so when I'm at a 90 degree angle from them, it looks like there is only one...:D. ...so for a brief moment until I get a better angle to see, I'm nervous to make sure the other one is alright...every time so far...:D

MO_cows - both heifers....:D.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What was the heifer's mother's milking ability?

I had identical twins three years ago (they're now about to have their second calves), born to a mature cow. She lost quite a bit of weight through lactation, despite the best feed - all pasture. One calf can take it all out of a cow, let alone two. But both of those heifers, once weaned, grew just as well as their contemporaries and reached good mating weights by 15 months, so it is possible for them to do well.

Non-id twins can differ in growth rate quite a bit and one could consequently fall behind if it ends up slightly smaller and not able to get as much access to the udder.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This heifers mother wasn't the most feminine of cows, but was a tank and a real easy keeper which I have culled/saved for. She was old when I got her...I sold her last year. She always had one of the biggest calves of the year and stayed fat doing it. I don't think her milking ability was outstanding, but pretty good and got the job done fine with one calf anyway.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see how this turns out. They are in a new fence line weaning pen I am building for weaned calves and will have their own pasture soon. Right now she's on full feed of my best hay and I've started her on grain. With how my neighbors' dogs chase cattle, coyotes, both neighbors on the east and west side of me fall calving now, I'm just going to keep them up close for awhile...at least until the calves have really good wheels under them....maybe the whole time.

I haven't seen a need to give either of them a bottle to help out some as of yet, but am watching. They both stretch good when they get up and all that....are acting content a lot with a good look in their in their eye. I like looking at the eyes!

From a distance they look exactly the same, but up close twin 1 is a better calf, imo. I seem to be watching twin 2 more to make sure she is ok.

Thanks for replying! Sounds like your situation turned out good!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Glad to hear that you're keeping them separate from the others and, best of all, safe from the roaming dogs, etc. Sounds like you're watching everything closely.

Hey, don't forget that we need to see frequent photo updates of these little calves.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear that you're keeping them separate from the others and, best of all, safe from the roaming dogs, etc. Sounds like you're watching everything closely.

Hey, don't forget that we need to see frequent photo updates of these little calves.
Yeah, with there being two, I figured it could get ugly out there if the calves don't stay together...from momma not being able to protect both at the same time if they separate a ways...to if one calf gets real hungry it might go through a fence to a neighbor cow that it can see.

It was rainy and cool yesterday...and I felt for the first time that I should give each a half a bottle just to make sure they stay on the up and up. Plus, I got the feeling that maybe they should be bottle trained right now before they get too old and that might make things easier if I do have to later. They took to the bottle real easy. I waited until they drained momma and then taught them to drink from it. Twin 2 did the best at drinking it down. I'm going to wait until they drink her down this morning and do it again....giving each a little....and maybe again tonight. I was brush hogging a little yesterday evening and seen one of the calves bucking and rearing-up across their pen...:D.

I'll take lots of pictures...:D. I'm a little picture happy anyway!...:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bottle-training sounds like a good idea, since twins usually do it a bit hard, even when the mother is a good milker. Sharing isn't so good for them when they need so much to grow to their potential.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are they getting on?
Things are going good so far! Thanks for asking! Momma cow and I are kinda raising them together. I don't look forward to it, but I don't puke any more when it's my turn to lick their hiney's clean....ha....:D.

Sunny, beautiful day out there today! I'll get some better photos!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts