Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an extra day off of work this past week and decided to play with Kool-Aid instead of cleaning my bedroom... (choices choice...) Here are the results:

A small skein dyed with strawberry Kool-Aid

My original 1, turned into 2 skeins I dyed in grape.

The 2 skeins of grape still on my homemade custom Niddy Noddy (hey I had to keep the boyfriend busy, and he likes building things!)

The skeins were made from oatmeal colored shetland, and dark brown Romney. I was surprised at how much the Romney picked up the color. I did the grape first and because I had too much, it simply didn't all get enough color, but the effect is beautiful anyway. And it was FUN :dance:

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I like overdying the natural colors, too! Nice rich tones you get from that!

Now, explain all the steps you used in your technique. (See, now you're in trouble. We want Details over here!) I've used directions I got online, but the koolaid bled badly. Just wouldn't hold the color. I expect you're using it a different way, as I've heard lots of people have good results with it.

Regardless, FUN beats anything...it especially beats cleaning your room!

Meg

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Meg,

I used the directions I found online, with an emphasis on hotter water:

I soaked the skein in 140 degree water for 30 minutes (kept the temp constant) and then heated 3 part water to 1 part Vinegar in another pot. Heated that to just around 170 degrees with the Kool-aid in it. Then dropped the skein in. Simmered it just below boiling till the color disappeared. turning it once in awhile. Cooled it down a bit and then washed it. The red did drop a bit of color when I washed it but the grape didn't at all. Not sure whether that's because I used a bit too much red dye, whether the water wasn't as hot or whether it's because red dyes just tend to bleed. It's definitely colorfast though.

I got the directions here: http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/

I just need to find some blue cause my nephew wants a red/white/blue scarf....

I can't wait to try this again, just need time to SPIN... :D

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
You know. If the Koolaid people were smart they would market wool dye to spinners! (and a greatly increased price, natch). Just think how many awesome colors they could come up with. Even at .50 cents a packet, it would still be a heck of a bargain and they would make a lot of money! Most all of the spinners I know use Koolaid occasionally.

donsgal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts