Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm done with work and the light is better I will snap a few pictures and add them.

The house is already dark and the fireplace is one of those see through ones that functions as a partial wall. The brick is that standard 1970's reddish brick. It just doesn't match the rest of the house which we've now updated. The brick runs from the ceiling to the floor. It's kind of the elephant in the room.

I've been looking elsewhere for ideas and it seems brick can be painted. Has anyone done this? Is it hard to do? What color? White would brighten things up but would look out of place. Maybe some sort of tan? Our window trim is golden oak and our baseboard is black.

Do stores sell some sort of stick on brick, like a faux limestone of sorts?

I plan to run over to menards/home depot/lowe's this weekend as well as look for some books for ideas but always like to come here first for a btdt point of view. :thumb: I will get some pictures up within a few hours which will hopefully help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the light was pretty good so here they are: I tried to get some background as well. ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411655243.549980.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411655271.972245.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411655297.937368.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411655319.503560.jpg . And now that I look at the pictures, the color isn't too bad. But I still would like ideas I'd you have them. I wish we could change it somehow but I can't figure out what it needs. :). I'm not creative!

editing to add, there's 4 pictures here but they seem to be running together in a string.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I painted our full wall brick fireplace a few years ago and it was labor intensive but it worked well. I used an oil based primer (I went to the paint store and asked them for their advice) and it took 9 hours to paint it all (13'). I still need to actually paint it but I'm actually comfortable with the way it looks with just the primer.

This picture is a little dark but this was last winter when our furnace died and we were keeping our fireplace going for heat (which actually did work well) and it gives you an idea of what it looks like. Man, I just realized that the fireplace actually looks dirty!! I swear it's not! LOL

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's fine. I would get rid of the clock though
No!! That's the only thing that gets my kids out of the house on time. :) I agree though..the former owners left it there and we just left it hang. I don't care for it either... I have to figure out what else would go there. I'd love a ledge/mantel but it's a main artery and I know someone would smack their body on it walking by.

Maybe a picture? The fireplace box itself is offset because directly below it in the basement is another fireplace (we don't use it) but that chimney comes up through the floor, to the main floor so they had to box in the two chimneys together. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I truly don't mind the neutral brick color, I've seen a lot worse. What it looks like it needs to me, is a mantel(s), a hearth on the side that looks like there's carpet right up to the brick, and maybe some molding where the brick meets the ceiling.

Reactions: Pearl B

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I don't have one, but my mom redid hers two ways when I was a kid.
She stuccoed over it in swirls and put a mantle on it, very pretty!
And, she beat off the stucco years later and cemented flat natural stone all over the brick. It was nice too. When she did that, she built a box around the bottom and set large rocks into it, and filled the gaps with concrete.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I like the brick.
I have seen brick aged and lightened by doing a wash of watered down white paint.
It was a nice effect.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:) :) :) All great ideas..keep em coming! I'm great at copying things I see in magazines but just can't come up with stuff on my own. Thanks everyone! I have to get back to work but will check in later and show my SO the different ideas. He's about as creative as I am. ha ha.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
My plan with ours is to get a flat screen TV (ours is the huge old one and it's on the fritz) and put it over the fireplace and get rid of that TV cart. I then want to put up crown moulding throughout the room once I paint the walls. I will put that big star over one of the couches then. :)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
It's strange where it's off center. Kinda makes it harder lol
You could put fireplace tools in that area to fill it in, have a narrow bookcase put there to display things, use a tall tree or something as well. It's actually a nice feature, IMO!

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
If you sandblasted the brick it would clean it and most likely lighten the color a few shades. You could also have the bricks repointed with a lighter color grout.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Because it's easy to work with, the extra space doesn't bother me.

I'm just thinking now and I'd take that smaller walkway between the fireplace and the wall and put in open backed bookcases there for display. On one side, you can do something like this (this is from a site where someone doctored a picture someone posted)

I would probably cover the brick with stone though - something to smooth it out but if you couldn't do that, painting it would definitely work. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts