My favorite venison recipe.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rollex11, Nov 26, 2003.

1. rollex11

rollex11 New Member

It is very nice to read that the hunting spirit is alive and well. For all you lucky hunters here is my truly best liked venison recipe.

To make this dish you must think ahead a little bit. Cook a good size roast of venison and make sure there will be enough left over for seconds. You can make it the next night or wait a day, if you can! If you have left over potatoes save them as well and make enough gravy so that you can use it with this dish.

THE HUNTERS DISH

- one big red onion
    - three or more tart apples wild ones work
    - one-two Lbs venison pre-baked heavy sliced
    - mashed potatoes
    - left over gravy
    - bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 F
    Well fry the onion and while it fries peel and slice and cut apples into finger thickness slices, remove the core. Place the apple slices on the bottom of a casserole dish. Now place the fried onions on top of the apple slices. Now lay the venison next and poor the gravy on top of the meat, make sure you use enough, make sure you move things around a little bit to alloy the gravy to soak in an under everything. A little salt and pepper if you like but does not really need it. Now put the mashed potatoes on next 1/2-1 inch from top. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs.

After preheating oven to 350 F place the casserole in the oven for 1 hour. You will see the gravy come to the top. Keep an eye on the top do not over cook the top, a nice light golden brown. Sometimes you can take the lid off for 7-5 minutes before removing for browning.

Let stand for 10-15 minutes or the hot apples, if any are left will burn your mouth. You can also set the served plates aside for 10 minutes so the kids don't burn their mouths.

We have severed this dish for years and any wild game will do, you can even mix more that one together (rabbit and duck). The Kids think were eating beef when I use the venison, they all love it. It is a combination of flavours that uniquely complements the venison.

I hope you all enjoy, it would be nice if you could reply after trying The Hunters Dish. It's so easy I do not even have this written down anywhere.

c u, good eats

2. lanie1209

lanie1209 Member

THAT sounds GREAT!!!! I'll try it this weekend!!!!!

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I hope that you don't mind, but I printed this out for my sister for turkey day. Thanks

4. this one is for the tougher cuts- the neck, shanks,shoulder.You simply mix up a brine,bring it to a boil and add pickling spice, let it cool right down, then submerge your meat in it, making sure it remains under trhe brine by weighting it down -a plate works fine, then leaving it in a cool place[ cellar or fridge], for about 4 to 6 weeks.Take out a chunk, wash the brine off, and you have the makings of a boiled dinner-I add onion, celary, carrots, potatoe, and of course, sliced cabbage.Serve with rye bread and wash it down with home made beer.Now that's a countryman'sdinner for a cold day!

5. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

Here are a few of our favorite venison recipes. We've only eaten wild game for our red meat, for years now. We now have a little homestead and plan to add to our red meat with some homegrown/organic beef this next Spring. Here are those recipes;

Venison Roast
    2c. chicken broth
    1/3c.soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. ginger
    4 tsp. chopped garlic
    1 medium onion chopped fine

Brown your roast, in a skillet with 1 tblsp. olive or canola oil, on all four sides.
    Mix above ingredience well. Add roast to your crockpot, now pour in the mix. Cook on the Low setting overnight. Add potatoes, celery and carrots a few hours before you're planning to serve it.The broth makes a wonderful gravy. or just slice the roast thin and serve on a bun( homemade of course) and use the broth for dipping( French Dip)

Venison Pepper Steak

2 lbs of steak cut into 2" strips
    2 Tblsp. olive or canolia oil
    2Tblsp.flour
    1/2c. catsup
    1 beef boullion cube dissolved in 1 c. hot water
    3Tblsp. soy sauce
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1 med. onion sliced into rings
    2 green pepers sliced into rings
    1 can or 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms

In a lg. skillet brown meat in oil.Remove meat and stir in flour, soysauce, catsup and beef broth. Heat until boiling point add meat strips and onion. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add green peppers and mushrooms, simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice, white rice or homemade noodles.

Venison Cutlets

2 lbs. venison
    1/2 c. sour cream
    flour
    2 Tblsp. butter
    celery salt
    Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    Bay leaf

Roll cutlets in flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.Place in a heavy skillet and brown on both sides in melted butter, over medium heat. When venison is well browned, pour sour cream over the cutlets and season with the rest of the ingredience( to taste) Cover and cook over low heat until tender( about 1 hour) Serve over rice or noodles or with a vegetable mix and rolls or cornbread.