My faamily seems to have a norovirus

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We not only do we have it but we seem to be re-infecting each other & others.

Other than the obvious: washing hands A LOT, washing the house down with ???? (does it have to be bleach water to kill this?), & airing the house out daily to try and get rid of it, is there anything we can do????

Thanks,

2. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

3. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Our family just went thru this over thanksgiving and it was a royal pain. We actually did bleach down all non poruse surfaces. We used Lysol in the brown bottle for doorknobs, switch plates, etc and bleach for counter tops, etc. I also ran a few empty loads of laundry with hot water and lysol. The kids all had germx for after nose blowing and such, too. I think the only thing we didnt do was steam all the furniture. We sure did steam each other out tho-vaporizers and humidifiers to help clear out sinuses were a big help. I never go sick at all-turned out I was the carrier!! Doctor put me on broad spectrum antibiotics to kill of whatever I was passing around. By that time, everyone else was fine!.

4. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Don't forget to soak your toothbrushes in a little bleach water, too. What a pain!! Hope you're all better soon!!

5. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I caught it from DGS and thought it would never go away. We used lots of bleach and lysol spray. We sprayed toilet seats/handles, sink handles, door knobs etc. Put bleach in my dish rinse water. Finally got it under control.
    karen in IN

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I give up, exactly is a norovirus? sis

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Oh, Cheryl! that is SO frustrating. Hope you guys are geeling better soon.

Cindyc.

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Norovirus is a stomach flu. You can spread it with as few as 10 viruses. Each time you cough, burp, go to the bath room, throw up you leave millions behind. I had us all washing hands after using the bathroom but didn't think about after I would burp (constantly). You can be symptom free & still contagious for 2 weeks!!! And you can get it over & over again. It must slightly mutate or something, because it is always slightly different.

The plan...

Wash down the house
    Wash all bedding, pillows, towels, etc. in bleach
    Get paper towels for handwashing
    Make sure kids are washing well (I have 5 under 12 & you know kids!)
    Sterilize all dishes
    Stay home for two weeks so we don't pass it around to others

Guess you all will be seeing a lot more of me!