Homesteading Forum banner

My eggs are taking longer than usual to hatch.

933 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  muleskinner2 
#1 ·
So I have about 7 eggs and 2 of them have piped but it's been 2 days since anything changed. I have been using a red heat lamp to incubate them cause our incubator broke and it's all we had. I have a spray bottle with water so they don't get shrink wrapped but they're all alive I can hear them and occasionally see them move. So my question is are they doomed to die cause I don't know the humidity or is it just me.

#3 ·
How are you controlling the temperature accurately enough for them to hatch---its not about heat---its about the right temperature----1 degree either way can cause a days difference in hatching. 2 or 3 degree's can make them not hatch at all?? Also how can you control the Humidity---it needs to be stepped up for the hatch?? What humidity are you running?

#4 ·
I have a thermometer in there with them and it's always under 100 but above 90 and for the humidity I've been guessing but it's been a day and 4 of them have hatched with no problems and the others are still alive and kicking they all have cracks now. I spray them with some misty water every once in a while. So I guess I did it right??? (If I do this again I'm buying a incubator )

#5 ·
if you got any to hatch at all doing it with a light bulb,
congradulations..
an incubator is a good idea.
get a good one. there are lots of them out there.
a good one will last a long time. it will be cheaper in the long run than replacing three or four poorly made ones.
spraying water directly onto chicken eggs is not the best thing for them.
It actually cools the egg down.
If you must add water by spraying, spray it onto the walls or floor of the incubator without getting any spray on the eggs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.